Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Homeward bound

The last few weeks, the hours have been really dragging and the cold has finally started to wear me down.
Although the days have grown longer and the sun has been shining, every day when I put on my parka, take it off and put it back on again a thousand times, I find myself thinking of Vancouver where the temperatures are currently in the positives.
Of course it's raining, but being a Islander, I'm used to that and always have an umbrella on hand.
It's funny, I know that Yellowknife is awesome. I know that my life is fun and adventure-filled, but lately there is something calling me home.
So... I'm gonna to listen to whoever's calling and head to Vancouver for the weekend, for my first trip out of the territory since arriving on Oct. 1, and I'm pumped!
I'll be meeting my parents, sister and brother-in-law at the airport Friday afternoon and then that evening, we'll be uniting with my brother, who lives in the Vancouver-area, in celebration of my dad's 75th birthday, which is today! (Happy Birthday DADDDDD!!)
I'm so excited!
I can't wait to walk around in a light fall jacket. I'm equally as stoked to leave my long johns hanging in the closet.
I think a three day break from the cold, from excessive layers and from snow packed streets is exactly what I need to prepare myself for another few months of winter.
I think it will also rejuvenate my mind, body and soul.
It will be so good to be a family unit again. It's been five years since all six of us have been together at the same time.
It would only have been nine months had I made it to my sister's wedding in May, but sadly I had just relocated to New Brunswick when she tied the knot.
It's definitely a long overdue visit, especially since I haven't seen my brother since Christmas of 2009!!
Our plans haven't been finalized yet, but we're thinking of hitting the aquarium, which is going to be a great opportunity for me to test out my new photography skills.
I hope we'll also make our way down to Granville Island -- my favourite place in Vancouver.
Just thinking about the visit has me bouncing with excitement.
I'll post pictures when I'm back, but for now, here's a family picture from my sister's wedding. You'll notice I'm there in the form of a cardboard cut out -- door and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment