Thursday, March 24, 2011

Spring it on

Did you know, the less snow that falls, the less mosquitoes there'll be in the summer?

Or at least that's the case in Yellowknife, according to my friend who was born and raised here.

I've been thinking a lot about summer lately, especially since my trip to Vancouver a couple of weeks ago for my dad's birthday.

It was 7 C out and the flowers were coming up, the streets were clear of snow and smelled of fresh rain.

Spring had definitely sprung.

Yellowknife is finally catching up. This week, we reached the positives for the first time in five months. I was so excited when I saw the forecast that I literally did a happy dance.

Today, I even wore a skirt and tights without long johns! I also managed to wear my denim trench coat instead of my parka.

This beautiful almost-spring weather has me longing for the 24-hour sunlight that everyone keeps talking about. I can't imagine what it will be like to go to bed when the sun is still shining as if it's 3 p.m., but I'm excited to experience it.

I wonder if I'll need less sleep.

I'm also curious how people keep track of time when there's no darkness.

But anyway, back to the mosquitoes. When my roommate moved back down south a few weeks ago, she left me three cans of OFF! bug spray, which she said I'd need a lot more than her.

Apparently the pesky little blood suckers aren't only plentiful in the summer, they're also about three times the size of the ones we get down south.

I didn't realize this was what I was getting myself into by accepting a job up here.

Well, I guess my dad did tell me that he wouldn't visit until late August because that's when mosquito season is over. But I thought he was only kidding.

I guess this just means I'll have to use OFF! as perfume for a few months. I figure everyone is going to smell equally as bad, so it's not like I'll be called out for being gross.

My friend, the one that told me the fun mosquito fact I mentioned earlier, said there is actually natural bug spray that smells a little better.

It's citronella scented, so instead of smelling like chemicals, I'll smell like a camping candle.

I think that might just do the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment