Thursday, June 16, 2011

A dozen pink flamingos

Monday and Tuesday were stressful days. Tuesday was Ian's birthday, so of course I left my planning until Monday.
I guess you could say I started planning on Sunday night, if you consider sitting in my roommate's doorway frantically biting my nails planning.
It's so funny, I plan everything else in my life well in advance. I lay out an outfit the night before. I used to lay out what I was going to have for breakfast. I often have a list of what to pack a week in advance of a trip. Actually, I have a list for everything.
But, for some reason, when it comes to things like birthday presents, and paperwork, I often find myself scrambling at the last minute.
Anyways, such was the case Sunday night, but thankfully with the help of my roommate, we came up with a plan. The flamingo plan.
Ian and I had had a talk about pink lawn flamingos in the not so distant past and my roommate said something about someone in her family being pranked with flamingos ... and it all came together.
So on Monday after work, I hopped in the car and searched the city for 22 of the lawn ornaments - a task that turned out to be a lot more difficult than it should have been.
I first went to Home Depot, but it was closed. Then I went to Canadian Tire, but they didn't have any. Then it was off to Walmart, where again they didn't have any. I was about to give up and was on my way home when I thought of one last place: Arctic Farmer. So I zipped across town to my last resort and as I walked in the garden shop, I came face to face with flamingos.
Seeing the price tag for the boxes of two, I started debating whether is the best use of my birthday funds, but finally I caved and bought six boxes - 12 flamingos.
Luckily for me, my friend was behind the till so I got a bit of a deal and I had help carrying them to my vehicle. From there, it was all about plotting the perfect scheme. I decided it would be best to take all of the plastic birds out of their boxes so they would be easier to carry to Ian's house in the morning.
Next, I blew up balloons and then I hid everything away in a closet.
In the morning, I woke up extra early, got ready, packed up all of my goodies and headed over to his house, less than a block away. On the walk, I was greeted with many strange grins and questioning looks. I guess that's to be expected when you're carrying smiley face balloons and a dozen flamingos.
When I arrived at Ian's house, I got straight to work while an older couple across the street watched and drank their morning coffee. In about 15 minutes, I had all 12 flamingos and nine balloons in place.

And then came the fun part, waking Ian up. I knew what time his alarm would go off, so I crept into his room just in time for him to wake up. He said he'd forgotten it was his birthday until I wished him a happy one. At that point, I couldn't even deal with being stealthy, so I told him he had to get up to see my surprise. So in his housecoat, he came outside and immediately started laughing. All in all, I'd say it was a great success. He even got a birthday kiss out of the deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment