Thursday, July 14, 2011

The simple things

While flipping through blogs today, I came across The Simple Woman's Daybook, which asks you, "Would you like to linger on the simple things?" And lately, I find myself doing that more and more. I find myself appreciating all that Yellowknife and the North have to offer. I think that sentiment hit me the hardest this afternoon when I read an essay written for Up Here Magazine by an acquaintance who just moved to Toronto. It's titled Breaking up with Yellowknife is hard to do. Since I'm about to go on an adventure to Rankin Inlet in less than a week, her words made me extremely emotional. They also made me realize that with six remaining days before spending six weeks away, I have to make every moment count.
Actually, last night is a good example of that. Right after work, Ian, his family and I took the boat to Ace Island, on Great Slave Lake. We ate a picnic dinner of roasted chicken, fresh bread, ripe grape tomatoes, broccoli slaw and baby cucumbers. Then we went fishing. On shore, we stood on a huge rocks covered in beautiful patches of orange lichen.
Ian caught jackfish on his first two casts. I wasn't so successful, but I did hook a few and catch one. It was a beautiful, warm evening, that we topped off with juicy watermelon. I honestly couldn't have asked for better weather, better company, or a better after work activity.

Here's to enjoying every moment, whether it's fishing and a picnic,
or a quick rest in the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment