Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Dark Jasper skies

Last night, amid the stress of moving, packing and leaving Yellowknife, Ian and I decided to take a breather. He filled his pockets with beer and a Ziploc of pepperoni sticks, I bundled up with a couple of sweaters (it's getting cold here!!) and we walked toward a large green space behind my house called Tin Can Hill. It was a nearly cloudless night and there were faint streaks of aurora across the sky. We spent about an hour with our heads tilted up, looking for shooting stars and satellites and watching as the northern lights became more vibrant.
I love that we're able to see so many stars even though we're not far from the light pollution of the city's downtown. I thought that was one of things I would miss when we moved to Jasper, but then I found out that my new home is actually one of the world's largest dark sky preserves. It received it's designation in March. And Ian and I are arriving just in time to celebrate, as Jasper holds it's Dark Sky Festival from Oct. 21 to 24.
I'm super excited to take part in some of the events, like dining in the dark and the guided lantern walk.
So anyway, yay for a new home, a new sky and new celebrations!

Oh! Before I forget, does anyone have an idea for a new blog name? Newly Northern Nicole hardly seems relevant for someone new to Jasper. Any ideas? How about ideas for a new banner? Help, please!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new job, Hon!! Wishing you all the best in your new home and employment. Thank you again for keeping the stead so great while we were out...I truly enjoyed meeting you!!♥♥ You are a beautiful and talented young woman...

    -Deb Greer

    ReplyDelete