Sunday, November 6, 2011

My gypsy life

Well, it's finally happened. I've updated my blog to reflect my new home and my new life.
I am no longer Newly Northern Nicole. I am now a Gypsy in Jasper.
When Ian saw my new blog header, he tried to fight me and say I'm not a gypsy. But I disagree.
After a quick Google search, I came across this definition: "One inclined to a nomadic, unconventional way of life," and "A person who moves from place to place as required for employment."
With those definitions, I feel there is no denying that I'm a gypsy.
For the last three years I've been traveling around Canada, working and going to school for short periods of time in all different locations. I started out in Kelowna, British Columbia where I completed my undergraduate degree, then I flew off to London, Ontario for another year of school to get my master's degree. From there I relocated to Fredericton, New Brunswick for my first gig as a reporter. And after that I spent a year in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories as a city hall reporter, with a seven week stint in Rankin Inlet, Nunavut as the editor of a weekly newspaper. After all of those adventures, I am now living in Jasper, Alberta where I am working as a reporter/photographer for another weekly paper.
I'd say my life fits the bill. And on top of that, I definitely live an unconventional lifestyle. Being a reporter, no day is the same, especially when you live in a small community. Everyone knows you as "the reporter." That means they're guarded around you because they fear whatever they say will end up in the paper. (It always amazes me that people think their lives are interesting enough to be newsworthy.)
Beyond people's constant fear that you're going to out them as a bad hairdresser or bartender or whatever, you're also in the public eye. People know you and they expect you to always be on your best behaviour. That's because they want to be sure the person with their life in their hands is responsible. You see, as a reporter, you're the one that moulds a person's words into a story, shaping how they appear to the public.
It's definitely a lot of pressure being in the media, especially considering how poorly journalists get paid.
But such is the life I chose. The life of a gypsy journalist.

1 comment:

  1. ...and we can all live vicariously through you! Congrats on the new beautiful surroundings! Mwah!
    ~dara

    ReplyDelete