Tuesday, November 8, 2011

An owl surprise

I love getting mail. I have been frantically waiting for a package to arrive for the last two weeks and it just won't come. But today I went to the post office (that's right friends, I live in a town, which means you have to get a post office box!) and instead of a package, I received a lovely homemade card from my sister. I didn't even make it out of the post office before I opened it.
And guess what I found inside!! This adorable owl pin that she crafted for me:


I love it! And it was the perfect substitute for my package (which is full of new shoes!!)

My sister has been making a lot of things out of felt lately, which has inspired me to get back to being the artsy-fartsy girl I was as a kid. I have been crafting up a storm the last couple of weeks.
Last week I crocheted a scarf for an athlete competing in the Special Olympics next year. There is a campaign going on where the games are asking that crocheters and knitters across the country make scarves for the athletes to wear during the Olympics. As soon as I read about it, I got down to work and finished one in two days.
I also painted a horrendously ugly ceramic wine holder and made it into a utensil holder for my new apartment. I have also painted some old chalk boards I found at a flea market. I haven't hung them yet, but we're thinking of putting one on our front door. We figure it'll be fun to see if and what our neighbours will write. (I'll keep you posted if they say anything particularly clever.)
I also made my Halloween costume, which was a big hit. I was a crocodile. Check it out:


My friends really liked the fact that I had made my belly out of sushi mats that I painted yellow. My tail was a ribbed tea towel that I sewed into the appropriate crocodile shape. On top of that, I sewed abrasive pot scrubbers that I had cut into points. Not bad, right!?

Have you been crafting lately? If so, I'd love to see what you made.

Oh! And before I let you go, I figure I should warn you now that my blog may include frequent craft posts as I have deemed this the winter of DIY (do-it-yourself)! My next project is learning to use the sewing machine Ian bought me for my birthday. Wish me luck. I might need it!

2 comments:

  1. So crafty Nicole! I am impressed. I never learned to knit, sew or be crafty at all in my family of boys, so I am jealous of your mad skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be jealous, just start small and work your way up. There are so many awesome crafting and DIY websites these days that dumb it all down so anyone can do it. I would love to see what you could come up with. :)

    ReplyDelete