Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The belle of the ball

Ian was the belle of the ball at the Mardi Gras party on Saturday night. He and I each created our own masks for the event and his definitely reigned supreme, catching comments, stares and strokes from everyone, including the evening's entertainers, Terri Stevens and Justyne Time of the Edmonton drag group Guys in Disguise.


In the photos below, Terri Stevens is Reba and Justyne Time is Mary Poppins. But, it's important to note, those weren't their only roles that night. The endlessly entertaining and hilarious performers came out as all the divas, including Lady Gaga, Whitney Houston, Marylin Monroe, Barbara Streisand and even Julie Andrews singing I Could Have Danced All Night, with a twist. (Let's just say she wasn't dancing all night!)
The event, which was part of Jasper Pride Weekend, was phenomenal. There were about 250 people in attendance, many of whom came in from Edmonton and other parts of the province just to take part. The energy in the room was so positive and enthusiastic (especially as Mary Poppins sang A Spoon Full of Sugar while pouring butter ripple schnapps into plastic spoons). Everyone who attended was definitely there to have a good time.

All in all, it was an awesome event.

For those of you wondering how I finally decided to fastening my mask, I cut a stretchy headband and sewed each end to the foam. To keep the mask from being flush with my face, I sewed the band about an inch and a half from the edge of the mask. To see how I made the mask, see my earlier post.

Anyway, to end off, here are a few more photos from the party.

 

P.S. I took all of the photos in this post, except the one of me. Yay! for learning how to use my camera and for having Ian around to teach me... and for having Ian around so I can use his equipment... and also for working on one of my goals for 2012. I have definitely come a long way since my days in Yellowknife. No more turds for this girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment