Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Dinner with an Olympian

So on Monday night I had dinner with Adam Kreek. The same Adam Kreek who, along with his team, won a gold medal in rowing at the Beijing Olympics in 2008. Now if his medal isn't cool enough, this guy is now training to row across the Atlantic Ocean. You heard me right, the Atlantic Ocean!
He and three other guys are going to spend two months on their boat traveling to Venezuela from Liberia to raise money for an organization called Right to Play. While on the boat, they're also going to be conducting research for numerous universities. Awesome right?

I think it's awesome. That is until I start to think about my own life. Do you have any idea what it's like to sit down to dinner with an Olympian who's about to row across an ocean? It's cool. And then you go home and you start analyzing your own life. You start thinking, what the hell am I doing? I live in this beautiful place, I write for a paper, I write a blog and I have an Etsy store. What else do I have? What am I doing for society? Why don't I have dedication like he does? Why don't I have a gold medal? Why didn't I pick up rowing? Dammit.

So after we had dinner -- which wasn't a date, by the way, and if it was, I had three chaperones -- and after I went home and felt like a bag of crap for not doing more with my life, I got to hear Adam give a motivational talk. That's why he was in Jasper. The Rotary Club asked him to come to town and inspire us.

Part of his spiel was about focusing on the things you can control and ignoring everything else. So, I figure it's worth a try, I mean the advice did come out of an Olympian's mouth after all.
So anyway, my new goal is to stop complaining about the things I can't control. Instead, I'm going to come up with solutions and take positive, productive steps to improving the things I can control. For instance, I'm going to stop saying I don't have time to learn to sew and I'm just going to do it. I'm also going to start working on my book again (P.S. I started a book last summer) and I'm also going to make a concerted effort to exercise more. I mean, I live in Jasper, it's really the perfect place to get outside for a run, hike or walk in the wilderness. There's just no excuse not to do it.

So anyway, thanks Adam for making me feel like crap and then motivating me to do something about it.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, dinner with an Olympian! I don't understand why people get all wonky over reality tv stars and the like when there's athletes like this guy out there. These people are the pinnacle of what a person can accomplish with dedication! Must've been quite a night. And it sounds like it was good for you too, since it helped you make some positive changes :)

    ReplyDelete