Thursday, February 9, 2012

Feathers and sequins, oh my!

This weekend is Jasper Pride Weekend, which means there is going to be an amazing Mardi Gras party on Saturday night, complete with beads, masks, costumes and, of course, a drag show.
I'll be there volunteering with OUT Jasper, taking photos for work and enjoying the festivities, along with a few delicious beverages.
So, as you can probably tell, I'm super pumped. And because I'm super pumped, today I got crafting.

Guess what I made!? You got it, an amazing feather and sequin mask.


To make this beauty, I first took a scrap piece of paper and drew one side of the mask. Then I folded the paper in half and cut out the second side, ensuring they would be a mirror image of each other. Then, I pinned the paper to a sheet of craft foam and cut around it. To get the shape of the eye holes, I traced a large button and then drew the pointed edges and then cut them out, as well.
 From there, there was just a lot of hot glue and feathers flying around until I got even coverage. Then I turned to the sequins, which there would have been more of if it wasn't such a miserable task to glue them on.


The large purple feather was from New Year's Eve. My friend Andrea made it for me to wear to a 1920s party. I attached it to the mask by weaving the hard end of the feather through the foam. That way it's not attached, so I can continue to reuse it.

I haven't figured out how to attach it to my head yet. I know I could just use a ribbon, but I want the edges to stick out from my face, rather than conforming to it. I have some time to try different fastening methods before Saturday night, so I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Happy Mardi Gras!

No comments:

Post a Comment