Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Right place, right time

Today I found out I won a photography award from the Alberta Weekly Newspaper Association. To tell you the truth, I didn't even know my photo had been submitted, so when my current publisher said she saw my name on the list, I was in disbelief.

 
 
I took this photo last year in Yellowknife while walking to a city council meeting. I had just left the office when I saw a block away there were a number of emergency vehicles. So rather than walking my usual route up Range Street, I took a detour to check it out. What I found there, on the corner of 49 Street and 51 Avenue, was a woman being strapped to a spine board, while another woman sat on the curb crying. About 20 feet away, there was a cab, a cab driver and a police officer. The officer was photographing the front of the taxi. What I found out later was that the cab struck the two women while they were crossing the street in a marked crosswalk. I also heard, although it was never confirmed, that the older woman, on the board, had insisted to her daughter, on the curb, that they walk in the marked crosswalk rather than J-walking like their friend who was with them.
If you're interested in reading the story that accompanied the photo, here it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment