Friday, February 24, 2012

Veggie cooking anxiety

Am I the only person in the world who gets anxious when they have to make dinner for a vegetarian?
I invited a friend over for a girl's wine and dinner night the other day and received this back, "I don't drink, but I won't say no to food - just as a warning, I don't eat meat. Picky guest." Now, this shouldn't be a big deal, but I already had a menu in mind and already had the ingredients and I don't really excel in the kitchen, so yeah, anxiety.
I mean, I can handle taking meat out of meal, but I figured if my meal was mediocre, at least the wine would be good. But no, that wasn't an option. So I had to make a good dinner.
Enter anxious Nicole searching the internet for scrumptious veggie meals.
So anyway, I ended up making sweet potato, kidney bean burritos instead of sweet potato shepard's pie, and I filled my fridge with a variety of flavours of pop, instead of wine.
At that point, I should have felt fine, but  when I arrived home after work, I was a bit of a basket case running around the kitchen like a nut, while attempting to cook and talk on Skype with my friend Katherine back in Yellowknife. (I wonder if she noticed my crazy state of mind.) Let's just say, I ended up drinking a beer before my guest arrived, just to calm my frazzled nerves. 
But, in the end, the result was actually a lovely evening. And I have to admit my dinner turned out pretty well. I changed the original recipe a bit to add more veggies, so instead of providing the link, I figure I'll give you my version, just in case you have a vegetarian friend coming over for dinner this weekend and you want an anxiety-free meal to make.

(P.S. Sorry there aren't any pictures. I just ate the last one while writing this. I just couldn't resist.)

You will need:

wraps
mashed sweet potatoes (I made mine with a little bit of red pepper flavoured cream cheese)
kidney beans
minced garlic
chopped onion
chopped green pepper
corn (canned)
sliced mushrooms
shredded cheese
chili powder
soya sauce
cumin
salt and pepper
1/3 cup water

Instructions:

1. To mash sweet potato, I usually cut it into cubes and then microwave it until it's soft enough to mash with a fork. Then I add a tablespoon or two of cream cheese, depending how much potato there is.

2. Next, put a tablespoon of oil in a frying pan and add the onion, garlic, green pepper and mushrooms. Once those are soft, add the mash, beans, and corn, along with 1/3 cup of water.

3. Mix well and then remove from heat, add the spices and continue to mix.

4. Put the mash mixture into the centre of a wrap, sprinkle with cheese, roll and then put on a baking sheet and bake them for 12 minutes at 350 degrees.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I was vegetarian (and vegan) for a long time and I know people got anxious when they had to cook for me. But I think in general vegetarians understand how weird it is for omnivores to cook for us, and are pretty forgiving. Glad your meal turned out well, it sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete