Friday, April 27, 2012

Yarn bombing

Image from FlickRiver
Image from Visual Culture

OK, so am I way behind the times on this one? Or is yarn bombing news to everyone else as well?
Either way, it's the coolest craft movement I've ever seen. And I am so dying to get involved. I don't know that I'm talented enough to do anything as intricate as the above two pictures, but I could definitely handle a tree.

Image from Baking and Making Bristol

OK, maybe not a whole tree, but I could definitely tackle a branch or two.

Anyway, for those you who are totally behind the times, like me, yarn bombing is a type of street art that uses colorful pieces of knitted or crocheted cloth rather than paint or chalk. Basically the idea is that it adds colour to the world, but it's also eco-friendly and can be removed or changed as the material begins to break down or get ratty.

According to Wikipedia, the movement is attributed to Magda Sayeg from Houston, who says she first got the idea in 2005 when she covered the door handle of her boutique with a custom made cozy.

 

Anyone up for helping me use up my yarn? I'd love to beautify Jasper with some crafty ladies (and gentleman). We can go rogue and get black leotard outfits. That way when we're out at night crocheting until our little fingers are raw, no one will know we're there. Oh! And we can ninja about. Who doesn't love ninjaing? This just keeps getting better and better.

So, who's with me?

1 comment:

  1. these are incredible! i need to get my knit on and make a jumper for my flat haha
    fashionmeasmile.com
    XXX

    ReplyDelete