Monday, May 28, 2012

Jumping fail

On Saturday a few friends and I went to the Athabasca Glacier and while we were there, we of course took some jumping photos -- some that turned out nicely and others that didn't quite have the desired effect. OK. Fine. You caught me. I was the only who didn't achieve the desired effect. 

Who would have thunk glaciers covered in snow would be slippery?

It was my second time on the glacier. Although the last time was when I was 17, so it was almost like being there for the first time all over again. For those of you who haven't been (most of you, I would assume), when you get to the Icefields Centre they load you into a special snow coach and then you drive (slowly!) onto the glacier. Once there, you're allowed to get out and walk around on the ice.

The most interesting and scary thing about the glacier is that each year it recedes by two to three meters. In the last 125 years, it's receded by 1.5 kilometres! That's scary because glaciers are the largest reservoir of fresh water on earth. So as they recede, we are losing my favourite beverage!! Bad news bears. Currently the Athabasca Glacier is about six kilometres long and is measured to be between 90 and 300 metres thick (300-980 feet). Isn't that crazy! It's nearly 1,000 feet thick. That's about 200 of me!


Have any of you been on a glacier or fallen after a jumping photo?
(Please say yes to at least the second part!)

9 comments:

  1. These pictures are incredible! Even though we are praying for summer, we don't mind be in there right now ;D

    http://everythingcanbefixed.blosgpot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visited the glacier for the first time this October, the bus people gave us crap about going past the cones...we also saw a couple of little rockslide/avalanches on a couple of the neighbouring mountains when we were there.... it was an awesome day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mini avalanches! What!? I feel like I got ripped off. That would have been sweet. (If you come back through Jasper, let me know. We'll grab a beer!)

      Delete
  3. This is too awesome. I can't wait to visit the mountains this summer. I miss them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well let me know if you make your way here. I'll be around and happy to be your tour guide.

      Delete
  4. We used to live near the Mendenhall Glacier and it's receding too:( My husband went up there with Crocs once and found it to be very slippery. People sometimes go up there to streak on the glacier (we've accidentally gotten pictures of this before when we were trying to take wholesome family pictures and didn't check the background carefully) I can't imagine falling down naked on a glacier would be pleasant... to each their own I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Too funny. Gotta love those indecent photo-bombers.

      Delete
  5. Wow!! Looks so beautiful (and fun). I've never been so up north to see a GLACIER! Would really love to, though. It might even go on my bucket list ;)

    Another great post. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have sooooo fallen over after jumping for photos. ALL THE TIME!!!
    Glad I'm not the only one hahaha
    -Britney of Lemonwood and Honey

    ReplyDelete