Tuesday, May 22, 2012

I forgot the mint!

I can't believe I did this, but when I wrote my garden post, I forgot to mention the thing I'm most excited about: fresh mint, both spearmint and peppermint. I'll blame my forgetfulness on the fact that I was writing the post at midnight after two hard days of fishing, reading my book, gardening and hanging out with Ian's dad, who you'll remember from my men's footwear post last week.

But anyway, the mint! Why am I so excited about a herb that would remind most people of toothpaste, mouthwash or gum? Well, of course, it's because fresh mint is a very important ingredient in my favourite summer drink: mojitos!

Since buying the plants, which I have now transplanted into their own little pot (for fear that they would otherwise take over our entire patio garden), I have already had four fresh strawberry mojitos. By the end of this summer and by the time my plants die, I intend to have 100s more. I can't wait to be on the patio with my shades, my shorts, a tank top, a book and a mug full of the most refreshing beverage of all time.

*I would have beautiful photos of my delicious mojitos if I hadn't chugged them as if they were bottles of water  that I found after a trek through the dessert. Next time, I promise I'll do my best to resist the urge to demolish my drink, so you can all see how glorious it is/was in my new 25 cent mason jar mugs.

Until then, here's a photo that shows the size of our garden plot.  It ends a few inches past the seed tape. If all goes well, the tape will become carrots in the not so distant future!! And where Ian is standing will be full of peas and beans. I hope. I hope. I hope.

I don't know if I've mentioned this yet, but our garden plot is part of a small community garden behind our apartment building. There are eight decent-sized plots that are given out on a first come, first served basis. And the best part is they're free! Oh, and they're right outside our door, so if we need something for dinner, we can just run out and grab it.

I can't wait to eat everything!!

3 comments:

  1. I wish I could grow my own herbs (damn apartment living!) Also I meant to say earlier lovely blog you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very very smart putting your mint in a container! we had various types of mint in our herb garden and it took over and went everywhere!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mint definitely takes over! of course; I know from experience. I really like your blog!
    -meg
    guppyandwhaleshark.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete