Friday, May 25, 2012

A loss for words

Yesterday was a sad day that I still haven't overcome.

A girl I went to high school with passed away. Her dad, who was my science teacher, apparently found her in her apartment, after taking his granddaughter - her daughter - out for a walk. The rumours about her death are awful and the news stories are vague. But it honestly doesn't matter what happened because, either way, she's gone and now her daughter is without a mother.

Now, I don't want to misrepresent my friendship with this girl, she was two years younger than me and we didn't hang out. But having grown up in a rural town of 1,500 people, you know everyone and you feel a connection to everyone.

And because of that connection, her passing has really rocked me, and by the looks of my Facebook feed, it's rocked my entire hometown. I'm still at a loss for words. I don't know what to think or say. I just knew I couldn't write a happy-go-lucky post today and I felt like, for a change, I needed to post something real. That's not to say my positive posts are fake. It's just that they don't represent a whole picture of what my life is. I'm not always smiling. I'm not always in the garden, or fishing, or on top of a mountain. Sometimes I cry. Sometimes I feel pain, and sometimes tragedies occur.

And yesterday, a tragedy occurred. A 24-year-old mother, with so much life left to live, passed away. My thoughts are with her dad right now and I'm sure everyone in my hometown is feeling the same way.

The only thing that gives me comfort is that I know everyone back home is rallying together to help in anyway they can. I guess that's the positive part of living in a small town; everyone knows you, everyone cares about you and everyone's willing to do whatever they can to help.