Monday, May 21, 2012

Praying for a green thumb

Oh man! The garden is officially in action and now I'm turbo stressed that none of my seeds will grow and the plants will just wilt and die. I gotta say, I don't think this gardening thing is for the faint of heart. There's just so much pressure. I know at this point it's kind of out of my hands, but I'm not dealing with that reality very well. I feel the urge to water like 10 times a day, although I know that will kill everything. I just hate being out of control. I just want to be able to ensure my garden becomes the envy of all of my neighbours. Is that so much to ask?

Now, you might be wondering what we've planted to create such envy. Well, the plants you see in the photos are broccoli and Brussels sprouts, or as my mom always called them, "green balls". And we also planted seeds for carrots, beans, peas, spinach and salad greens.

But that's not all we're growing. We actually got this really cool contraption for our deck so that we can grow herbs and tomatoes right outside our door. The coolest part about it is that the tomatoes grow upside down! Or they're supposed to anyway.

And then on top of the hanging tomatoes there is a little spot to put your herbs. We planted thyme, basil, tarragon, dill, parsley and chives. The dill and tomatoes were looking pretty hard done by on Saturday night, just hours after we planted them, but by Sunday evening they were looking happy and healthy again, much to my relief. Once Ian pointed out the tomatoes were back to their healthy broad, leafy selves I spent the whole night staring out the patio door at them. I just can't wait to see the first tomato grow.  


**I'll take a better picture of our patio garden for my next update. I just realized now that there isn't a shot of the whole contraption so you can see both the tomatoes and the herb garden.

How is everyone else doing with their gardens? Are they growing beautifully? Have you killed anything? Have you eaten anything you've grown?

Give me all the nitty gritty details. Oh! And if you have any advice for a novice garden, don't be shy to share it. I could use all the help I can get!

2 comments:

  1. I am jealous of your planting space! I'm restricted to some terracotta pots on a very tiny back patio... what I would *give* to be able to grow my own veggies!

    I've been keeping to flowers, at least until the fiance and I find a home to call our own and settle down in. You know, one with a back yard (what are those again?) and that may allow us to finally have a dog (we require a big, fluffy Samoyed to complete our happy family).

    I hope your garden grows vast and fruitful!


    - Kayla ☆ http://www.kaylanaut.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are, strangely, not allowed to dig in our yard, but we do have a brand-new little tiny herb garden in one of those big clear Tupperware bins! I have no idea what to do with them, but I have all summer to figure it out. :)

    ReplyDelete