Friday, May 18, 2012

Update: simply living

Well guys, I've made it a whole week without overstepping my two-hour computer limit. I was close on Wednesday night, but as soon as I realized I was about to check my Facebook feed for the 500th time, while simultaneously refreshing my Twitter feed, I gave my head a shake, shut my laptop, grabbed myself a tall glass of bathroom water (the coldest water in the house!) and curled up with my book.

I'm feeling pretty awesome about staying true to my goal and I've actually done a lot in the last week.
I went to the hot springs, bid on and bought a mountain bike at an auction, ate the year's first cup of frozen yogurt, barbecued, played poker with some friends (and lost horribly!), tilled the garden, went fishing, sat on a patio drinking beer and eating pizza and I saw Fred Eaglesmith play.


And that was just the weekend.

This week, I've been out to see a movie (Dark Shadows with Johnny Depp - hubba hubba), I volunteered at a new thrift store in town, I wrote my friend a letter, I bought plants for our garden (tomatoes, mint, dill and chives to go along with all of our seeds), I finished watching the first season of Game of Thrones and I housed a couple of Ian's friends for a night. Oh! And I also made epic Rice Krispie squares with peanut butter, chocolate and butterscotch.

It honestly feels so good to be able to list off all of those things (and to eat the delicious Rice Krispie squares). Had I not made this goal and joined the Simplicity Project, I'd likely only be able to say I did a handful of activities, along with a lot of staring at my computer screen.
Have you-all done anything to simplify your lives lately? If not and you're feeling like a little simplicity could do you good, why not join the project?

Be sure to let me know if you do!

2 comments:

  1. I've been away from my computer a lot at home this week because my dad is visiting and it seems kind of terrible to be hanging out on the computer while we have company! But, it'd be nice to step away and feel *good* about it because right now I just feel like I'm behind on all the stuff I usually do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey congrats on being successful--it can be way harder to pull away from screens than I think most people realize. I spent a good four years with no internet in my apartment, and it was a great way to force me to be intentional about my internet time. I'd plan a trip to a coffee shop and use it there, then when I was done, I was done. It was the perfect system, honestly.... When my partner moved in, though, I think the one thing he asked for was internet. So we've compromised, and I'm having a really hard time (just like I knew I would) limiting how much internet I use.
    C Marcia (Sequins)

    ReplyDelete