Friday, June 22, 2012

Broccoli: up close and personal


I don't care how you feel about broccoli, like it or hate it, today is a day to celebrate the tasty green veggie. Why, you ask? Well my friends, only because it's the first plant in my garden to show me the goodies. That's right folks, what you're looking at is the beginning of a broccoli floret that will eventually be in my belly.

I went to check on the garden on my lunch break yesterday and realized something absolutely wonderful was happening. Not only was my broccoli plant being a bro, other things I assumed were dead were popping up too! That's right, ladies and gents, I'm not such a brown thumb after all.


See! There are some bean plants growing now. I think there's about six so far. I'm hoping for a few more to show their little faces in the next few days, but we'll see.


We have six Brussels sprout plants because they are the most delicious vegetable in the whole wide world, obviously! I can't wait to see some "green balls" growing from them. And I also can't wait to eat them all.


This is one of our six or seven pea plants. They seem to be digging our garden. They get bigger every day.


These little beauties were the first to sprout up. Soon they will become delicious spinach for salads and homemade spanakopita. Yummy!

I'm so pleased with my garden. I was feeling pretty discouraged for awhile there, but things are looking up. Our herb garden is another story. We haven't had anything sprout up, so I replanted everything today with hopes of seeing some growth in a couple of weeks. Here's hoping the second try is the charm.

How are your gardens doing?

10 comments:

  1. Yay! Your garden is looking wonderful! And oh man just wait that little pea plant is going to shoot up like it's nobodies business in the next couple of weeks, and it's going to be amazing.

    I must say I'm pretty jealous of your broccoli plant, I love broccoli and yet completely forgot to plant any, haha. Next time we plant I will have to make sure I remember.

    I'm seriously so excited about your garden, it's kind of ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that your enthusiasm matches mine! So, so great. We are like the most supportive little gardeners on the planet!

      Aww. Is it too late to plant a broccoli plant? I bought mine already grown. It's not from seed. You can totally do it!!

      Delete
  2. Looks fabulous, congrats! Growing a garden is harder than we realize, yet so rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got beans and lettuce in, and they are both doing splendid! I might even have enough lettuce for ONE SALAD this week! HA! I bought cucumber seeds, but forgot to plant them. Whoops! And my tomato plants are huge already, as per usual. Maybe this year I will actually have a real tomato grow on one of them.

    I have to settle for plants that grow well in containers, and so far the tips I got from my green-thumb friend have been paying off.

    Also, I don't know what people have against brussel sprouts and broccoli. Best veggies ever, I say!

    Also "Mojito Summer" it is!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum yum yum! Broccoli is my favorite raw veggie, and brussel sprouts are tied for the my favorite cooked veggie (asparagus is the other contender). I'm glad your plants are surviving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are sameys. Your favourites are mine, too. Although, I would add yellow, red and orange peppers to my favourite raw veggies.

      Delete
  5. Ooh, I'm jealous! We're not planting veggies this year due to space, but last year we managed about a dozen or so radishes that were delicious. :) My garden is... eh, so-so. Some are blooming, some peeked their heads out of the dirt and said "screw this," never to be seen again, and some didn't even bother. One day I'll get a hang of this thing... glad yours is doing well!!


    Kayla ☆ http://www.kaylanaut.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I kind of snorted when I read that your broccoli plant was "being a bro." Classy, self.

    We're growing broccoli, too, and they're a great plant. We get TONS of broccoli from them. And, fun tip, broccoli leaves aren't bad either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All I could see was "homemade spanakopita". Mmmmm... spanakopita...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden is coming along great! It's always so much fun to see what works and tasty to enjoy the veggies.

    ReplyDelete