Friday, June 1, 2012

Craft fair preparations

While Ian's friend was in town a few weeks back, he bought out my entire Etsy store. He was heading to a birthday party for a 14-year-old girl and wanted to bring something along for her and all of her friends. So I assume there are now about 15 little girls running around Calgary with my felt floral hair clips in their hair. I have to say, I absolutely adore the idea of them all having matching BFF hair clips. So cute!

But now my store is EMPTY! So I've been working my butt of crafting away while we watch reruns of Hell's Kitchen. (Dude! Gordon Ramsay is one scary Brit! I wish I could quote some of my favourite insults from the show, but my parents read this and would be very disappointed with the inappropriate language.) Anyway, I've made about eight new hair clips and a few baby headbands, but now I've signed myself up for a craft fair, so the pressure is on to craft until my fingers are raw, so I have enough stuff to fill a table by next Saturday! 

I'm so excited about the fair. It's been YEARS since I've sold my crafts in person. (Now I just hide behind my computer screen and sell things on Etsy.) When I was a kid, each year I would get a table at the Christmas craft fair in my hometown. My mom and I would make fabric flowers and other little items and my brother would do some woodworking and sell his goods, too. It was always such a fun day where we would get to socialize with everyone in town and eat delicious homemade treats from the other vendors. And any money I made would go toward buying handmade goods from the other crafters. So I'd never leave the community hall with much more than a few dollars left in my pocket. We'll see how I do next weekend. Maybe now that I'm all grown up I'll have more self control. 

Have you ever sold your goods in a craft fair? Or is there one that you love attending every year?

4 comments:

  1. I used to love going to the Christmas craft fair in my hometown every year! We have a few around here and I always end up buying something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that sounds so fun! I've never sold anything at a craft fair, but I've been to one and it felt magical. Your hair clips are adorable too, btw. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss the craft fairs in GR, they were always so much fun, so many talented people :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to do a few different shows each year. One was a local show I could walk to (so that was awesomely easy to set up for) The other two shows were the Boston Bizarre and the Twist show (in Northampton MA) Boston Bizarre was always my favorite, I just love that show and hope to do it again.

    ReplyDelete