Friday, June 29, 2012

Embarrassing blogger fail

As a writer, there is nothing worse than having an error go to print. It can be something as small as a typo or a misused comma. No matter what it is, it hurts. Those mistakes stick with you all day or even all week. They just straight up suck.

So, with that in mind, let me share with you a silly, embarrassing, facepalm mistake I've made as a blogger.

For the last two months, I've been sponsoring Love, Elycia and for the last two months, my button has said "Gyspy in Jasper." Do you see the error? I didn't the first time or the second time or the third or fourth or fifth or hundredth time I saw my button. It actually took an email from a reader for me to finally see it. To be honest, even after she pointed it out, I still couldn't see it, so she had to break it down for me. You see, the 's' and 'p' are in reverse. *Face meet palm*

So... yeah, I'm a doofus, and I might just need a copy editor outside of work. My dad generally plays that role, but I don't think he reads many lifestyle blogs outside of this one, so the chances of him seeing my ridiculously embarrassing mistake are pretty slim. Had he seen it, he would have sent me a one line email pointing out the error. He would then sign it, "Your loving editor" and I would be embarrassed for a moment, then quickly fix it and move on.

Where were you on this one, Dad? Just kidding! My fault, all my fault. I guess it's time to start using my trusty friend Miss Spell Check. I can't expect Dad to catch everything!

So ladies, tell me you've made similar errors in the past and I'm not all alone on this one. (If you haven't made a similar error, I'd appreciate it if you lie and just tell me you have.)

8 comments:

  1. I feel like I do stuff like that all the time! I always have Will read over my blog before I put it up to make sure it sounds ok and I swear 99% of the time he tells me how a quarter of my sentences don't make sense, haha. And then I go back and read it and I realize I left out three or four words, haha! But before he points it out it makes total sense in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will honestly admit that I have made many a typo in my blog posts! Sometimes it feel so good just to get them done and published, that taking that extra second to spell check is just too much! I do try and keep a tight hand on spelling and grammar for my work blog, but I'm sure it's happened there as well! I do often wish my photo-editing program had spell check!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! I almost didn't see it either. I had a link to my TUMBLER on my blog for a long time, and I know it is TUMBLR. I guess that is the opposite? I spell-checked when I shouldn't have?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! If it makes you feel any better, I still didn't notice it until you actually explained what it was. And I'm a teacher- I'm supposed to spot these things!

    My favourite typo ever was an assignment for uni on assessment in the classroom. I printed it all off, proofread it, got my partner to read it over, handed it in... So far, so good. It was only when I got it back and spotted a word circled by the marker that I realised I had written "asses" instead of "assess".

    Becky
    xx

    http://www.beckybedbug.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do this ALL THE TIME. Not even going to try and deny it. I get so into writing something and I'll hit "post" before I've carefully looked it over, only to find I've either misspelled something, or left out a few words crucial to a sentence. My biggest problem is confusing English spelling with American English spelling of words like "realize" (which I always want to spell "realise" with an "s"). Which is odd, since I was born and raised in the US. I think I read too many English books... ah well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the time. It's terrible, I hate it. You know what makes it more terrible? I always notice OTHER people's mistakes. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man! Ha! I didn't notice that either!!
    I am getting really ridiculously bad at noticing typos. You may have noticed that when I told everyone I loved your blog I wrote "Jypsy in Jasper". Gypsy with a 'J'?! Was I high?! Nope, just being the totally oblivious typo queen I am becoming. Ivan actually calls me from work often to tell me I made some sort of dumb dumb mistake on my blog. So embarassing. There is probably a typo in this comment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. BAHAHAHA on the slow walkers! I used to walk way slow in high school and people were always getting stuck behind me in the halls and getting mad at me. Now I am a serious speed walker and I can understand their pain. Slow walkers= ANNOYING! Just found your blog and I've loved getting to know you better, I'm excited to follow along!

    new follower :)
    bonnie
    bonnielouisa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete