Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Rainy day in the park


I don't know that I've ever been as thankful for an umbrella as I was on Saturday. It poured, and when I say poured, I mean there were full-on torrential downpours.

I swear, the four hours I spent in the park watching Dan Mangan and Sam Roberts perform, was the longest stretch of time I've ever spent outside in the rain. The day was made for a couch, a cup of tea and a movie, not an outdoor festival, ponchos and umbrellas. BUT, and that's a but worthy of caps, despite the rain, it was an amazing concert.


This moment alone made the risk of trench foot totally worth it. Danny-boy is at this moment singing Robots, one of my favourite tunes, ever. I sang along to every word and danced while sitting cross-legged, trying to keep dry.


Sam Roberts was good, too, and I was actually surprised by how many of his songs I actually know.

Side note: the turquoise purse holding my poncho is the thrift find I was talking about on Saturday. You'll be seeing much more of that bag in the near future. I promise you that!
In the end, we were all smiles and we were relatively dry, albeit cold. And, strangely enough, by the time Sam Roberts returned to the stage for his encore, Mother Nature had backed off to let us enjoy the two remaining songs without umbrellas.

Have you ever been to an outdoor concert with uncooperative weather?

7 comments:

  1. I went to a really freaking cold outdoor concert in the middle of winter in Waterloo when I was in university. I stayed all day because I wanted to see Bedouin Soundclash, and by the time I got back inside my body was so confused from going from cold to hot that I turned bright red and stayed that way for the rest of the night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was once to an outdoor concert with thunderstorm! It was scary and awesome at the same time. Luckily the people got to sit under shades, so the rain wasn't a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you're a trooper! I'm not sure I'd fare very well in your place... but what matters most is that it was worth it. (Also, here's to hoping you didn't catch a cold!)

    And I'm pretty sure that bag you thrifted and the cell phone case I bought yesterday are the exact same color. ;) Turquoise *everything* has been calling to me lately.


    Kayla ☆ http://www.kaylanaut.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! Sometimes I lve being out in the rain. :) was it cold rain though? That's never fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to an outdoor festival named sunburst... and it rained the entire time. I guess the event planners were asking for it with that name!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The big Folk Fest in Edmonton is sometimes besieged with crappy weather. The worst is the mud everywhere from the thousands of people traipsing around on the wet grass and paths! We would just huddle under out tarps and ponchos and tough it out! And drink lots of coffee and hot chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I saw Sam Roberts in Salmon Arm a few years back it was freezing cold and rainy (in August!). I didn't bring the right clothes for the weekend and ended up wearing the same thing (which was pretty much every piece of clothing I brought) and we all got covered in mud. No ground sitting on that disaster! It was still fun though, and a nice dry warm bed was extra enjoying come night time!

    ReplyDelete