Monday, June 18, 2012

Things I don't understand revisited

Source

1. Women's magazines. I could write an essay on everything that is wrong with women's mags. Actually, come to think of it, I have. But I won't bore you with 2,000 words. Instead I will just say, they are all the same and they are all evil. Every issue they regurgitate the same stories in a slightly different form and most of those stories do more damage to a woman's self-esteem than good. They tell you which celebrities have gotten fat, only for you to realize what they consider fat is actually four sizes below what is considered remotely healthy. Or they tell you which celebrities are too thin. And then they tell you how you can achieve that perfect level of stick thin that you're taught to aspire to by all of their content. Oh! And don't forget the very informative "how to please your man" feature that pops up in every issue, because, of course, you aren't doing that already, nor could you figure out how to without the help of Cosmo. It amazes me that so many of these magazines still exist. I'm just left to wonder, who's still buying them?

Source
2. Flight of the Conchords. The songs. The guys. The one guy's lips. I hate everything. I don't know if the show is even relevant anymore, but it came to mind recently and I thought it was more than worthy of this list... especially since a lot of my friends literally laugh out loud when they watch it. I just don't get it.

3. Rude people. (I was going to put a picture of Stephanie from Full House saying, "How Rude" here, but the quality wasn't up to snuff. *Sad face*) But photo or no photo, I still hate rude people. I hate people that talk on their cell phone while going through a till or people who don't say thank you or people who don't move out of the way when they're walking right for you. It makes no sense to me why people are like that. I have bad days, but I'm still polite and considerate. So why the heck can't other people be? Some days it seems like we're living in a world full of jerks. Present company excluded, of course.

Source


4. Twilight. I knew from the moment the books became a big deal I would absolutely hate everything about this series. Not because it was a big deal, but because I read one sentence out of the first book. In that sentence, Bella was the most obnoxious, pathetic and helpless character that could possibly grace the pages of a novel. For me, that was enough. I hate weak female characters, especially when a book is targeted at youth. That is definitely not what little girls need to be reading. They don't need to think they're helpless and lost without some sparkling vampire dude. We need some empowered female characters to be role models for all the young ladies out there. So down with the Bellas of the world.

Source
5. Music snobs. Why can't people just like the music they like? Who cares if the band is famous? Who cares if they're not? All I want is to just listen to my reggae rock. No one has heard of my music and most people don't like it, but that's fine with me. I listen to what I like. I don't preach about it. I don't take pride in the fact that a lot of the bands are unknown. I just listen to what appeals to me and I think everyone should have that freedom. Don't judge me and I won't judge you. Deal?

Well there you have it, round two of things I just don't understand.

Last week, I had tons of comments from people who had their own things to add, so I thought I would end this post with those additions.

Things I don't understand: make-up, shopping malls, brand name anything, playing games on Facebook, people wearing headphones while out with other people, people who carry their cellphone like it's precious cargo, fake nails and rude strangers (which made it on my list this week).

What would you add?

19 comments:

  1. I think you and I would have lots to chat about "IRL"!!

    I love finding new music, so I will take a music snob's recommendations, even if I disapprove of their snobby ways!

    Twilight...ugh. There's a funny meme circulating Facebook right now, comparing "pop culture role models" to "geek culture" ones. Bella doesn't fair well!

    I get surprised if someone is polite and not rude! Because it's a rarity nowadays. And I think that's sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fact that you wrote "IRL" made me "LOL". ;)

      But yes, I think you're right, we would have a lot of fun in real life. Let's make it happen. We're not so far apart. Meet halfway in the button-hole of Alberta (Edson)?

      Delete
  2. I am right there with you on not understanding women's magazines. I don't think I've ever read one and thought that I could actually relate to any of the stories printed within their pages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get out of my brain, lady.

    My old roommate used to put Flight of the Conchords on all the time, and each time I wanted to just huck things at her until it was over. What a terrible show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wanted to huck things or hucked things? I'm more of an action oriented person, so there would definitely be hucking of the things. ;)

      Delete
  4. I agree with you about most of these. In fact, I'd say all of them except I love women's magazines. Despite this, I have absolutely no interest in celebrities (especially not their weight) and I always skip straight past the "please your man" articles as they're too vanilla for me. I like everything else about them though. Especially the fashion. Mmm clothes!

    Becky
    xx

    http://www.beckybedbug.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My issue with the fashion segments is that they don't show "real" women wearing the clothes, so it's hard to picture them on myself or anyone I know. But to each their own. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh rude people. I'm a waitress and sometimes I wish I could just shake them. Hard. And I HATE weak female characters in any scenario. Women do not have to act that way to be appealing. Agh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. to further the rude people comment, what about when you tell someone to have a nice day or ask how someone is doing and they don't say it back? it drives me crazy. i am on the phone a bit for work and both of these things seriously irk me. some days i want to be a snot and say, "why yes, i'm well. thanks for asking." or "thanks, i'll have a nice day too"

    i know people have bad days, believe me at my job i know the feeling but i am always nice and respectful.

    i had to run to the market the other day and the girl never said anything to me and literally threw my products into the bags, i said, "wow, that bad of a day huh?" i was trying to be nice and joke around with her and she rolled her eyes at me. little snot she was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes. Could people suck any more? Jerks, I tell you. They're all jerks.

      Delete
  7. I dwell on number three most days that I work. I dream of making money doing something that does not in involve direct customer service. It blows my mind how many rude people there are. Jerks.

    Something else that irks me: Bad movie theater etiquette. Twice in the past 30 days I've been to a movie where a loudmouth is literally stating the obvious. One example: the opening scenes of a film I saw recently showed a pair of scissors and the lady next to me says (in slightly louder than normal conversation volume): "Scissors!" And that was just in the first 30 seconds (I'm guessing) of the movie. Then there was a cat "Oh my gosh! *laughs hysterically* I came to the conclusion that this lady was a bit tipsy.
    Other bad movie etiquette that I just don't understand: bringing babies to movies (especially midnight showings of things like Harry Potter-true story), people who show up late and take forever to find a seat...especially when it's a seat near me and I have to move/stand up to let them by or can't see because they're taking their sweet time), people who bump your seat every time they move, etc. I really enjoy going to the movies, but hate bad theater etiquette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit, I can be a pretty shitty movie date. I have a hard time not talking. If it's cheesy, I want my friends to know I think so. If it's scary, well there's just no holding back. If it's intense, you'll know. If it's funny, my laugh shakes the theatre. I'm the worst. I know. I just can't help it. (Although, I have to say, I went a terrible movie last night and kept my mouth shut. That was likely a first!)

      Delete
  8. WOMENS MAGAZINES. YES 1000x YES.

    They're just God-awful. Horrible pieces of trash. I can't... I can't formulate words for my loathing.

    Working in retail, I come into contact with a lot of rude people... not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That last picture just made my day. And yes, women's magazines... ugh. unfortunately rude people is all i get living in philly. i can't wait to be back to small town living.

    ReplyDelete
  10. lol! great post! I'm with you on music snobs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah twilight of course, I agree with you in every word. That is the same exact reason why I hate it. A girl that can live without a guy? A girl that constantly needs saving? A girl that doesn't want to go to college and just wants to have sex with a guy and for a guy? Society does NOT need this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this feature! I don't think anything is worse than rude people and I have the stories of working in restaurants for 10 years to prove it. I agree on most the other too, but we part ways at Flight of the Conchords :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad I'm not the only one with a strong dislike for Flight of the Conchords and the whole Twilight hullabaloo. I guess this falls under rude people, but I hate hanging out with friends who spend the whole time texting their OTHER friends. And I am 31!

    ReplyDelete