Thursday, June 28, 2012

What to wear: to a BBQ


What up, ladies? Can I assume you all know about my What to Wear series? Or do I need to do another quick recap? Just in case, here's the deal. Every two weeks, Jill from Jilly BeansTALK and I show all of you what to wear for a certain occasion. This week, it's what to wear to a barbecue. In previous weeks, we've done what to wear to an outdoor wedding, what to wear on a first date, what to wear to a rock concert, and many, many more.

For me, a barbecue is usually a super casual gathering of friends, so I chose a comfortable, summery look. I just bought this t-shirt last weekend for $5 and I'm super happy with it. The colour is perfect for the season and the material is super lightweight, which is awesome for the hot days I assume are on their way. The skirt was another sale find ($20) and has been a super versatile item in my closet. I love that it has pockets and that it has a high waistline, perfect for tucking in all kinds of tops.

The piece de resistance in this outfit is my new purse. I've talked about it a couple of times on the blog already, but this is your first real glimpse at its beauty. It was worth every penny, all 400 of them.


These last two photos are just an opportunity to again show off my fantastic new specs. Everyone has been saying things along the lines of, "Your glasses suit you so much, it's like you've always had them." Isn't that awesome? I'm so happy to have picked out a pair that match my personality and style. Ian even told me earlier this week that I look weird without them. I thought that was pretty crazy considering I've only had them for a week!

 Head to toe:
Shirt: Ardene
Skirt: WeSC
Purse: Thirfted
Apple core necklace: Etsy

Are there any ladies out there who want to join in on the what to wear fun? Jill and I do these posts every second Thursday and we're happy to extend the invitation to anyone and everyone to join us on our style adventure. Next time it's what to wear to meet the parents. Leave a comment or send me an email if you're interested.
What's your favourite barbecue outfit? Do you have a checkered picnic blanket dress? I'm dying to get my hands on one of those!

20 comments:

  1. I love It! The colors are fun and that necklace is adorable!

    XO-Meg
    guppyandwhaleshark.blogspot.com
    Twitter:cincy_cindrella

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute outfit and love your glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would be an adorable outfit for a BBQ! Casual and cute! And perfect for the summer heat. The apple core necklace is super adorable as well!

    Callie
    www.coffeeandcardigans.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy this series. And I am kind of in love with that apple necklace and need to own one myself, because I would seriously feel all cool walking around our apple orchard with it on hehe.

    And I know I've said this before but I'm going to say it again, I love those glasses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, you would look totally precious with an apple core necklace in your orchard. That is just too perfect and so, so photo-worthy.

      Delete
  5. I love your apple core necklace! Too, too cute. This is indeed a perfect outfit for a bbq

    ReplyDelete
  6. That skirt IS perfect! And I love the colour of that top. And your necklace is so cute! Exclamation Points!!

    I am so jealous of your purse. So very jealous. The last time I bought a "perfect" little 2nd-hand purse I got it home and all of the leather flaked right off. So I've been reluctant to get my hopes up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be reluctant, just be picky next time. I figure for $4, if it lasts me two months, it'll still be worth the money. If it last longer than that, well that's just gravy.

      Delete
  7. That apple core necklace is the most perfect thing ever to wear to a bbq--I love it! I'm working on getting my blogging compatriot on board with doing this too--it sounds like a ton of fun! I always get nervous when it comes to dressing for "meeting the parents'--it's hard to find a balance between presenting your personality and looking demure and non-threatening. Also, yeah, your glasses are adorable. They fit your face perfectly and I love them :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude! You guys should so totally join. Get that girl on board. Stripes and Sequins in the houuuuuse!

      Delete
  8. And all of them are absolutely right! These glasses suit you to the maximum level:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love love love that apple core necklace :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love that necklace! seeing that my staple clothing items consist of tee shirts, flat front grey khakis (or army pants) and very very old vans slip on sneakers - i don't think you'd want me part of your "style" blog hahah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe a bi-monthly outfit post would push you out of your comfort zone!? Maybe we'd get you into a pair of jeans!! Ooolala. ;)

      Delete
  11. That is perfect for a bbq. cute fun and not fussy! I have your button up. Thanks for swapping!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Nicole! I'm back after a (long) hiatus :) I'm LOVING your new blog design! Who did it? It's gorgeous. Also I do love that purse and the apple necklace. I bought a purse similar to that a few months ago, but the company emailed me after I ordered it and told me they had just sold out. Bummer. :( Anyway, good to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you again! I thought you'd never come back. ;)
      I had my blog redesigned last month or the month before by Amy at Vanagon Champion. She's awesome!
      Bummer about the purse. But then again, I guess that means you owe yourself a shopping trip, and that's not so bad, now is it?

      Delete
  13. Last time I went to a BBQ it was shorts and a t-shirt... I'm not very fancy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't do much more than that. I just took the crotch out of your shorts and made them into a skirt! ;)

      Delete
  14. great outfit! love the mix of colors, and i think that necklace is perfect for a bbq :)

    ReplyDelete