Sunday, July 15, 2012

Blog love: Liebster Award

Source
In the last couple of weeks, the always lovely Melissa of Melicious and Amanda of Salvaged Strawberry both named me as one of their recipients of a Liebster award, and I've just now gotten around to both posting about it and passing it on. Before I continue, though, I just want to say a huge thank you to Melissa and Amanda for recognizing Gypsy in Jasper and for sharing in the discussions that happen here. It's been great having you around! 

So, what's a Liebster award, you ask?  

Here's a quick description:
The Liebster award is given to upcoming bloggers who have less than 200 followers. The meaning: Liebster is German and means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing and welcome.

Rules for receiving this award:
  1. Each person must post 11 things about themselves.
  2. Answer the questions that the tagger set for you, plus create 11 questions for the people you've tagged to answer.
  3. Choose 11 people and link them in your post.
  4. Go to their page and tell them.
  5. No tag backs.
So, I guess, this is the part where I tell you 11 things about me. (I'll do my best to keep it interesting.)
  1. If you take a trip to Value Village with me, it's an all day event. Not because I doddle. I'm actually very efficient. I just have to see everything of interest. And I try every item on, but, I promise, I do it lickity-split. 
  2. Basically, I have Value Village down to a science. I attribute that skill to years of thrift shopping with my mom and two years of working in the Kelowna VV.
  3. If I'm not in the right mood, thrift shopping can feel like the worst chore of all time.
  4. When I'm the right mood, there is nothing I want to do more.
  5. Enough thrift shop talk? Hmm... what else to talk about? I don't eat meat off the bone. It's gross. I will, however, eat it if Ian cuts it off for me.
  6. I had an over active thyroid five years ago. Then the doctor killed it with radiation. So, now it's under active and I have to take a pill every morning for the rest of my life.
  7. After I took the radioactive iodine treatment (a pill), I had to be isolated from the rest of the world for one week. My friends called me radioactive girl, and on the seventh day, my roommate was afraid to come home.
  8. My favourite colour is emerald green.
  9. I've lived in four provinces and two territories in the last four years.
  10. I love ginger tea lattes.
  11. Reggae-rock is my favourite genre of music.
Now, to answer Melissa's questions. (I'm not going to answer Amanda's because this post would just be too long-winded. Sorry Amanda!!)
  1. What is your favourite book? Small Island by Andrea Levy, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, Cereus Blooms at Night by Shani Mootoo, The Monk by Matthew Gregory Lewis and Light Nights on Air by Elizabeth Hay.
  2. Same for films! The Breakfast Club, Empire Records, When Harry Met Sally, Pump Up the Volume and As Good As It Gets.
  3. Same for musicians! Bob Marley, Aaron Kamm and the One Drops, Orange Grove, The Beautiful Girls (Mat. McHugh) and Eleven Fingered Charlie.
  4. How would you spend your time if you won the lottery and never had to work again? Traveling and writing about my adventures.
  5. What is your favourite place to visit? Library, local café, etc.? The Jasper Legion. Weird, I know, but in Jasper, the Legion is where all of the great musicians play and there is cheap beer, great events and a shuffleboard table. I love it!
  6. What are the five places in the world you most like to live? Well, since I'm on a mission to report from every province and territory, I would have to say the remaining provinces and the one last Canadian territory where I haven't yet lived.
  7. If you could go on a “honeymoon” with your girlfriends (i.e. a super relaxing holiday with just the girls) where would you go? That's tough. I can think of all kinds of holidays that I would like to go on with the girls. We could go to Europe, eat delicious food and take in the history or we could go to Disneyland and have a ridiculously awesome time. So basically anywhere with the girls would be fun!
  8. What are your “guiding principles” in life? When you set a goal or make a promise, follow through. When something doesn't feel right, find out why and fix it and if it can't be fixed, get out of the situation. Smile at people on the street. Stop and give people directions and just be an all around nice person.
  9. What / where / who do you want to be in 5 years time? In five years time I would like to have three more provinces under my belt. I would like to be a better writer and a more confident person.
  10. Who would win in a fight: a pirate or a ninja? Ninja. They have the use of all of their limbs and both eyes, plus they're bendy and fast.
  11. (Melissa only asked 10 questions...)
Now it's time for my questions. (If you weren't bored at the start of Melissa's questions, you must be dozing off by now. Holy man is this post ever long! Feel free to scroll down to see what blogs I chose.)
  1. Why do you blog?
  2. What was your first post about?
  3. How has your blog evolved since then?
  4. Who inspires you in the blog world?
  5. Who inspires you in your day to day life?
  6. When you sit down to write, are there certain things you have to have with you? Like a mug of tea, a glass of water, your glasses, or a cozy blanket?
  7. Where are you when you're the most inspired?
  8. What's your passion in life?
  9. When the shit hits the fan, who's the one person you always call?
  10. Who's your best friend and how would you describe them?
  11. What kind of friend are you?
Did you think you were done? Oh no. There's still more! Now it's time for me to name the 11 bloggers who get to answer my 11 questions.

And those lucky ducks are:
  1. Veranellies 
  2. Little Lady Little City
  3. Not Ladylike
  4. Coffee and Cardigans
  5. Lost in Relocation
  6. Projectville
  7. A Crooked Trail
  8. Abhaya
  9. Northern Exposure
  10. Kaylanaut! 
  11. Merry Alana
Thanks again to Melissa and Amanda for choosing me for the Liebster Award. And thank you to any readers who made it all the way through this post. You are troopers!

If I've named you and you decide to participate, please do let me know. I'd love to see how you answer my questions!

8 comments:

  1. You only answered 10 questions! Hehe :D The liebster award is a nice way to show people you love their blogs, I like to read all the questions and answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited you chose me! I can't wait to check out all of the other blogs listed, too! I'm on vacation right now, but as soon as I get back I'll get at these questions and keep the ball rolling. Thanks, lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray! I'll try to get a post up this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love your cute blog!! i am definitely a new follower:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a neat award project! Congrats!

    I don't know what a ginger tea latte is, but it sounds FANTASTIC!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh YOU. You're so sweet. And I didn't even realise that I only asked 10 questions, oops! My forte is definitely words, not numbers. ;)

    Also, I LOVE YOUR FILM CHOICES. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world who has seen Pump Up The Volume! 80s classics for the win.

    xx
    Melissa @ Melicious

    ReplyDelete
  7. First off, I would like to thank Starbucks for keeping me caffeinated, and my husband for the use of his laptop, and...

    Eek! I am so pumped to get started on this! I might even slack off (a little bit more) at work today and start on my questions!

    Thanks Nicole

    He he...Pump up the Volume.

    ReplyDelete
  8. pump up the volume..oh christian slater! my best friend in high school and i seriously used to watch that movie every weekend, of course on VHS. we watched it so much that there were rolling lines that would play through the movies from the tape wearing hahah..we were obsessed to say the least.

    i'm working on my post for this..give me a few more days and i should have one up ;)

    ReplyDelete