Friday, July 27, 2012

Folk on the Rocks 2012

Photobucket As you all know, I just got back from an amazing Northern vacation in Yellowknife, a city North of 60 in Canada's Northwest Territories. It's a beautiful place that I totally recommend everyone visit. I lived there for a year, and I'll likely end up living out my old age there when I decide it's time to settle down and be a full-fledged adult. (I'm so not there yet!!)

Anyway, Ian and I made the journey back up North to take in Folk on the Rocks, an annual folk festival that attracts tons of Canadian bands.

PhotobucketLike Said the Whale, pictured above. I saw them perform twice, once on Friday and then again on Saturday. The Friday night show was the headliner and it was truly amazing. I danced it up right in front of the stage and even watched a dragonfly land on one of the band members' faces. It was awesome. He was totally startled, but managed to just keep singing. He's a professional after all.

Photobucket Also there was Timber Timbre, a band I've been listening to since I was in university. They're a super sombre, haunting, mellow band that is just so freaking amazing. I literally bought my festival tickets just based on the fact that they would be there.

Photobucket The big name on the lineup was Bruce Cockburn, who headlined on the main stage Saturday night. His show was awesome, as well... although I did hear from a reliable source that he is a bit of a diva. But, oh well, he is a Canadian icon. He can be as big a diva as he likes. I mean, when he sang Wondering Where the Lions Are, the crowd flocked to the stage to sing and dance.

Photobucket So anyway, verdict is, the festival was totally worth the trip. There were many more bands that played than I've listed here and every one of them was awesome. The three I would be remise not to mention are the Jerry Cans from Iqualuit, Ohbijou from Toronto and Ron Sexsmith also from Toronto. Seriously, check them out. You won't regret it.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, fun! The last festival I went to was the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival a couple years back, where I got to see Steve Martin play banjo. Needless today, it was kind of incredible. ;)


    Kayla ☆ www.kaylanaut.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nicole! I interviewed Bruce Cockburn right before I left HERE and he was pretty nice. There was definitely a twinge of diva-ness (considering he's done a million interviews, that's almost fair) but I really enjoyed our chat. I was surprised to find out he had a newborn baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wauw I totally wish I was there. I have to admit I didn't know these bands before you posted this but I've checked them out and really like the bigger part of them. Great taste! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All those concert feet in the sand looks more like dirty hippie feet ;-) And also it looks super awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have I not mentioned that I'm a bit of a wannabe dirty hippie?

      Delete
  5. That looks like so much fun! I have tickets to a few Australian music festivals towards the end of the year, which I'm really looking forward to...

    xx
    Melissa @ Melicious

    ReplyDelete