Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Guest Post: Bekuh from Secondhand Sundays

Heyyyyy ladies! Guess what!? I'll be back to GinJ tomorrow after my glorious Yellowknife vacay. Be ready for some photos and adventure stories. In the meantime, I have a huge treat for you -- a post from Bekuh of Secondhand Sundays. Wait until you see the delicious dish she's whipped up! The photos have me dying for some breakie. Enjoy!

Hello Gypsy in Jasper readers, my name is Bekuh and I blog over at Secondhand Sundays. I'm thrilled to be guest posting a little something while Nicole is on vacay and hope you'll stick around and learn something new with me today. Cooking is fun.

My husband Ryan and I love to cook, so much so that I actually have a special feature on my blog just for our adventures in food. It doesn't matter if it's breakfast, lunch, or dinner we'll use any excuse to create a new dish out of whatever-we-have-on-hand around the house. I don't mean to brag or anything, but we're pretty good at making up dishes with almost nothing in our pantry. When we're down to the bare bones one of our favorite dishes to make is a frittata. Frittatas are kind of like baked omelets; but instead of folding all of the goodies inside the eggs, it's all scrambled together and cut like a pie. I'm all for recipes that you can substitute ingredients based on availability and this one is perfect for just that. Here's how you do it:
Everything Plus the Kitchen Sink Frittata: Serves 4

Ingredients:
6 eggs
2 cups spinach (or any greens you have)
1 large pepper
1 potato (any kind)
1 medium sized onion
3 cloves garlic (we love garlic)
Cheddar cheese (or any kind of cheese)
Bacon (optional)
Salt & Pepper to taste
Olive oil

For a frittata you want to select ingredients that are colorful, fresh, and in season. I never make a frittata without cheese or something green, and we usually make them without meat. Other than that, you can put in whatever you like. 

Step 1: Dice and slice all of your veggies to your liking. I recommend thinly slicing the potatoes.

Step 2: Preheat your oven to 375F/190C and your skillet on medium. Generously pour the olive oil into your pan, then add your potatoes. Cook for a couple of minutes before adding the rest of your veggies.

Step 3: Add the other veggies, garlic, and salt and pepper everything to taste. Cook until everything is tender, then turn off the heat. Shred some cheddar on top of your cooked veggies, I always add more after I add the eggs (I like it cheesy). [Note: If you do not have an oven safe skillet you will need to pull out a baking dish to finish the recipe. Just transfer all of the veggies to the greased dish and continue]

Step 4: Scramble all six eggs in a separate bowl and pour them over the veggies. Try to cover as much of the veggies as you can. You may need to pick up the skillet or baking dish and tilt it to get everything covered. Add more cheese if you'd like, and you're now ready to transfer the frittata to the oven. Cook for 10 minutes, or until the eggs are completely cooked.

Once you've removed the frittata from the oven there are two courses of action you can take. Purest say that a frittata is better served cold, but I like my still piping hot. It's up to you how you eat the dish and what you serve it with. I say that this recipe serves four, but if you're like Ryan and I you'll probably eat the whole thing by yourselves. It's a little addictive. Thanks for reading, I hope you'll stop by Secondhand Sundays and visit sometime soon. big kiss, bekuh


My goodness, doesn't that look just divine? Huge thanks to Bekuh for wrapping up my week of guest posts and for going out with a bang. That frittata seriously looks amazing. I think it might just be my Sunday morning meal! 


See all of you tomorrow!

6 comments:

  1. Wow this looks so good! Bekuh always has some of the best recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM. bekuh comes up with the best stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummmy! This looks so good!

    x

    Marielle

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh! of course bekuh would make something that looks so amazing i want to eat it through my computer! YUM!

    <3 katherine
    crave jewelry giveaway // of corgis & cocktails

    ReplyDelete