Friday, July 13, 2012

Half-homemade: Key lime pie

Remember last week when I posted my summer goals? And remember how making a key lime pie was on the top of my list? Of course you do! Well, I deeeeeed it! Or, at least I made the filling and put it in a pie crust made by those cute little Keebler elves. I figure that's still doing it, right? Are you judging me for being the laziest baker of all time? Fine! Whatever. Maybe you're right. Or maybe I was just intimidated by the fact that the crust is the best part and I didn't want to screw it up. Or maybe I get anxious when I bake. You don't know! So just stop judging and applaud me for my effort, won't you?

OK, I'm going to turn the crazy down a notch and carry on. How about I settle my nerves by showing you more photos and the recipe? Sound good? Yeah? OK. Great. Here it goes.

Photobucket To make this recipe, you'll need:
  • 2 cans of sweetened evaporated milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 4-5 limes (1 cup of lime juice)
  • 1 tbsp. lime zest
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 2 tbsp. icing sugar
  • 1 pre-made graham cracker pie crust

Photobucket

Who knew it took so many limes to make a cup of lime juice? Not this girl. Thank goodness for Ian's juicer (courtesy of his buddy Adem!). That thing makes short work of citrus fruit. I love it. We used it to make Bekuh's limeade over the weekend and we make lemonade with it all the time. Yum!

Once you have your limes squeezed, mix the juice in a bowl with your evaporated milk and eggs. Whisk everything together, pour the mixture into the crust and then pop it in the oven at 325 F for 15 minutes.

Photobucket Now comes the worst part! Put the pie in the fridge for TWO HOURS! Ugh. Waiting to eat is painful. Once the time's up, mix the sour cream and icing sugar together and spread it on the pie, and then top it off with the lime zest.

Photobucket
I found this recipe on the Food Network and found it over estimated how much filling and topping you needed. I think a can and a half of evaporated milk would be sufficient, and maybe 3/4 a cup of sour cream would do, instead of a whole cup.

Either way, though, it was delicious. I still have one slice in the fridge that I'll offer to share with Ian... even though I want it all to myself!!

How are your summer goals coming along? Have you ever made a key lime pie? Am I big fat cheater for coping out and buying the crust? Lay it on me. I think I can take it.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my talk about mouth watering! I absolutely love key lime pies they are just so good. I'm definitely going to have to give this recipe a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true: waiting IS the hardest part! I will have to try this one out, as my husband is quite the "biggest fan" of key lime pie. I even found key limes at the local Sobey's last month!

    Truth be told, all of my limes go into making mojitos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha funny! I didn't even read the words in your post! I just saw the pie and thought: "mmmmmm pie"

    I have NOT started on any of my summer goals, although we did just get back from vacation. Although I did eat dinner outside yesterday, and that was sort of a goal. So...yay me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Key Lime pie is my favorite kind of pie, well, it's tied with pecan, but they're so different! I just love pie, okay?

    It's crazy how many lemons/limes you need for a cup of juice. I make hand-squeezed limeade during the summer, and my goodness you need LOTS of citrus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. aghhhhh !!! key lime pie is my absolute favorite! i muuuuust do this ! great tutorial i can taste the amazing tart sweetness in my mouth already! www.heartandthrift.co

    ReplyDelete