Thursday, July 12, 2012

What to Wear: to meet the parents

Photobucket
This has got to be one of the most stressful occasions to dress for. Amiright? A first impression is always important, but I think it's a bazillion times more important when you're meeting your possible in-laws. If they don't like you, life could easily become hell for both you and your partner. So, that's why it's important to think of meeting the parents as a more conservative first date. Or, at least, approach your outfit that way. You want it to be presentable, comfortable (no fidgeting! you want to appear calm and composed), and attractive. No cleavage. No short shorts, or skirts. Tone it down on the makeup and dress for the occasion. Don't show up wearing a fancy dress if you're going to a backyard barbecue. If you do, the 'rents are going to think you're a high maintenance, prissy girl from the city. In the same breath, don't wear shorts and a t-shirt if you're going out for a nice dinner. Show them that you can dress the part.

Photobucket

Now, don't take these rules as saying, "Be void of personality and cover yourself from head to toe." What I mean by them is that you should wear something that you feel comfortable in, because if you're comfortable in your clothes, you'll come off as more confident and comfortable while talking to the big scary ogres in the room. I think every girl has an conservative outfit that still shows their personality. Like mine! It's colourful and fun and has elements of me: bright colours and wooden accessories.

Photobucket
With all of that said, I met Ian's parents while wearing yoga pants, long johns, a wicking-wear shirt, a fleece sweater and a toque. I know. I know. That sounds pretty awful, but let me explain. I was in Yellowknife at the time, it was winter and I had just come in from skating on an outdoor ice rink. Oh! And during Yellowknife winters, it's totally acceptable to look like a blob of unfashionable layers. I assure you, my first Sunday night dinner, I kicked it up a notch with an outfit that was slightly more presentable... although my long johns were still hiding under my pants.

Photobucket
Top to bottom: 
Dress: Walmart
Sweater: Hollister
Necklace: Craft fair
Sandals: Shoe Warehouse 

Photobucket
Before I sign off for the day, I want to leave you with some exciting news! Sondra from Abhaya is joining Jill and me in the What to Wear fun. Jill and I have been doing these posts every second Thursday for a few months now and have always had it open to other bloggers, but for some reason, people have been shy. So, Jill and I are both REALLY excited to welcome Sondra to our little fashion adventure. I hope that you'll visit both Sondra and Jill's blogs to see what their outfits are and what their meet the parents advice might be. And if you're interested in joining the party, send me an email. We'd be happy to have you!

Happy Thursday everyone! Just one more day until the weekend. Wahooo!

8 comments:

  1. great choice! love the colors of this outfit on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really love that sweater, such a great color. the only thing i remember when i met kevin's parents were the following:
    1. the size of his dad scared the crap out of me(he's about 6'4-6'5, 300+ pounds?)
    2. kevin left the room to go talk to his parents for a minute - during that time his older brother threatened to "hurt" me if i ever hurt his baby brother!
    3. when kevin came back to the room, he was shaking his head. his parents kept questioning him because they didn't even think i was 16! (i was 22- he was 24)
    yeah..it was quite interesting! having to show my id to my boyfriends family so that they would believe me that he wouldn't be sent to jail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so pretty! love the bright green. and the mountains don't hurt either. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sent you an email! My blogging companion and I want to participate. Also, your outfit's colors rock. And a big heck yeah to practical shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed that dressing for this sort of meeting is stressful! But I really adore the outfit you put together. A cute dress is perfect when you pair a cardigan with it. Love the colors as well!

    Callie
    www.coffeeandcardigans.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there! I just stumbled on your blog, and its so adorable:) I'd love it if you stopped by to say hello!

    Shelby xoxo
    shelbychasingbirdies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally recognize that bridge! We're off to Jasper this Sunday, pretty excited.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! You look great. I would have never guessed that's a Walmart dress! Haha. I won't be shy - I'd love to be a part of the "What to Wear" fun :)

    ReplyDelete