Friday, August 3, 2012

A long overdue Womanifesto

As promised, here is my public declaration of mad love for my lady parts...

I am Nicole. Not Nikki. Not Nic. Just straight-up, plain old Nicole.

I pee with the door open. That's the kind of woman I am. The kind of woman who's comfortable in her body, whether it's 10 pounds lighter or 10 pounds heavier, it's mine and we're bros.

You see, this body of mine, the one that causes so much controversy because it's sans penis, it's what keeps me alive. It's what keeps me moving. And it's what powers the brain that I so greatly cherish.

Yeah, controversy or no controversy, I stand tall in my 5'1 frame, my shoulders back and my head held high, and I will not cower.

No. There's no pushing me down. You see, my thoughts, my feelings, my insights, they're valuable. Some people might not think so. Some might brush me off. But I won't walk away. I won't give up. No. My ideas, they need to be heard. So I stand up. I speak up. I let it be known that my opinions and my beliefs, they count. 

Sometimes I'm scared. Sometimes the words get caught in my throat. But, I won't leave them there, left unsaid. I speak with as much conviction as I can muster. I say my piece - voice sometimes waivering - and I refuse to be hushed. I refuse to be silenced.

I am smart.
I am thoughtful.
And I am critical.

I'm a woman of many words. I speak them loudly and I write them for all to see. I think in words, dream in words and hope in words, and sometimes, although not often, I find myself at a loss for words.

If I cry, it doesn't mean I'm weak. If I get angry, emotional or even just a wee bit touchy, it's not because I'm PMSing. No, it's probably just because you're being a dick.

You see, my moods, they can't be pinned down and timed out by my monthly blood drip. They go up and down whether Mother Nature (that lovely lady in the tampon commercials) has come for a visit or not. And that's OK. I'm allowed to feel shitty and I'm allowed to feel sad, just as I am allowed to feel fantastic. Life isn't always easy, and if I want to deal with it by throwing a tantrum, then let me be. And if I want to celebrate an amazing day with a happy dance, then just let. me. be.

I don't act the way I act for you. And I don't look the way I look for you. I'm not here to be gawked at, judged, ridiculed or harassed. And I'm sure as hell not here to make your babies. Yes, I am capable of doing so, but I choose when, if ever. And I have the right to say no when it doesn't feel right, because I am a free thinking, independent, powerful woman. A woman that demands respect and deserves nothing less.

I am worthy.
I am strong.
I am empowered.

I am a woman.

Deal with it!

This post was inspired by the incredible link-up that was happening over at The Militant Baker, called the Womanifesto Challenge. Thirty-two women took part (I'm a tardy thirty-three), and each and every one of them has written an amazing post about who they are, what they are and what they deserve. 

Jes (The Militant Baker) defines a womanifesto as:
A written statement declaring publicly the intentions, motives, and views of its female author. May include themes of empowerment, independence, self love, consciousness, affirmation, and individual acceptance; your positive beliefs about yourself. Created to give self-described definition in regards to the innate beauty inside of every woman. 

So what do you say ladies? Will you take Jes up on her challenge? (This link-up may be over, but the self-love is something that will continue on forever. Write your womanifesto. Feel empowered and be the amazing self-confident woman you are!)

5 comments:

  1. I loved this, it is such a great idea! And I pee with the door open too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excuse me but I'm gonna get a little PG-13 here: you're fucking rad and I wish I could give you the most awesomely enthusiastic high five. Great job on your Womanifesto!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so totally right! I wish I could write something like this, you go Nicole! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for writing this... i love women that roar:) Jes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love this (also I am hopeless behind on my reader). Very rawr and very right.

    ReplyDelete