Monday, August 27, 2012

At this time last year: August

Photobucket

If you're new around these parts, "at this time last year" is a looking back series I do once a month. I started it four months ago after I found myself continuously wondering about my past. And then, after the first go-round, I decided that this just had to be a regular Gypsy in Jasper feature. There are just so many photos and adventures that I never did share here on the blog. Plus, it feels good to look back and see all that I've done.

In August of last year, I was living in Rankin Inlet, Nunavut - a hamlet of about 2,500 people on the west coast of Hudson Bay.

Photobucket

While there, I went caribou hunting. (I wrote a whole post about it, so if you're interested, definitely check it out.)

Photobucket

I watched our freshly shot caribou get skinned, gutted and cooked. And, I also ate raw caribou kidney, bone marrow and boiled tongue. (I wrote about that, too.)

Photobucket

I was exploring the tundra, looking for low-lying plants to photograph.

Photobucket

I was soaking in the town's mining history.

Photobucket

I was returning home to Yellowknife after seven weeks away from Ian, my friends and my oh!-so-comfortable bed.

What were you doing at this time last year? Can you remember?

6 comments:

  1. Um, I love the photos (okay, almost all the photos), but this post is a bit gross for me. haha. so. much. dead. animal.

    my heart aches for canada. how i miss thee, canada...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blog series idea. I somewhat do the same thing with my travels. Called "travel archives". Hah. Love these photos!!!

    I recently started a new link party on my blog that is exclusively for traveling and experiencing different places. If you could hop on over and link this post or any other 'traveling' post, I would be so grateful! Thanks so much!

    http://www.letbirdzfly.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-places-youll-go-travel-party-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that last photo is kind of epic! It made me feel very warm.

    I love your "this time last year" series. It's so easy to value looking ahead more than looking at where you are or where you've been... being able to take the time to evaluate and appreciate where you came from and what you went through, on top of where you are currently and where you're working to be, is so important. Each has a unique perspective to offer, and I wouldn't say any one is has more value than the other.

    But of course you know this already, because you're the shit and you wouldn't have posts like these if you weren't already aware of their worth. Duh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ain't gonna lie... I felt a nervous pitch at the bottom of my stomach and I gagged. I'm not a big fan of eating meat, or hunting, or anything that involves dead animals. (I cry when I see roadkill) But I have total respect over what you did. Being able to be a part of that must be a great experience you don't easily forget, xo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a fun post! And a good idea. I might have to steal it. Maybe.
    This time last year I was working less than I am now, starting my first fall semester of grad school, and ending a relationship that wasn't healthy. What a difference a year has made!

    ReplyDelete