Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Dreaming of the open road

Source

I love road trips. I especially love them when I'm the one in the passenger seat manning the tunes and the munchies. I mean, what's better than cranking Girl Talk or Richard Cheese and singing all the words while maowing down on some honey mustard pretzels? The answer is nothing. Nothing is better than that. Well, I guess having Ian as your driver, singing equally as loud, is also kind of key. But, I mean, as long as someone's driving, I'm pretty sure I'd be happy.

With the summer quickly coming to an end, I find myself longing to take one last road trip before the highways are covered in a thick sheet of ice and snow. But, with my house being the hostel that it is, all of my weekends are booked up between now and the beginning of September. So, what's a girl to do? Throw the house keys at my guests, as I peel out of the parking lot? If only!

Right now, I'm dying to go to Drumheller. I blame my burning desire on Erin, who posted some awesome pictures from her visit a little while back. And, if not Drumheller, I'd like to head back to B.C. for some fun times in Vancouver or Kelowna. Really, I'd go anywhere. I just want to hop in the car, look out on an open road and know that in a matter of hours I'll be arriving in a fun destination.

But, for the moment, I'm stuck and instead of heading out the door, I'm looking longingly at gorgeous photos of highways.

Source

Have you been on any fun road trips this summer? What's your favourite thing about being out on the highway?

10 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, I haven't gone a road trip yet. Lame! But my boyfriend and I are planning on traveling to Vancouver in a few months, and seeing all the cool cities in between. Like San Francisco and Portland :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. me and husband road trip A LOT. I'm pretty sure we were long haul truck drivers in another life. there's absolutely nothing better than hitting the open road! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. last fall i went on a road trip from SF to Portland to Seattle then over to Glacier National Park and it was SPECTACULAR! It was the perfect time for road trippin because all the leave were changing colors and it was absolutely gorgeous (see photos here,http://annaelizabethphoto.blogspot.com/2011/12/road-trip.html, it was amazing! )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the nostalgia of road trips. We went on lots of them when I was a kid, so any time I get to pack up the car and head out, I get excited!

    Vancouver Island was a big road trip for us this year. We have wishful thinking plans to head down to the Grand Canyon in the next couple of years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you can make it to Drumheller, do it! You won't regret it.

    This weekend Raimund and I are headed to Banff to search for more ghost towns...you guys have quite a few near where you live!

    ReplyDelete
  6. kevin said he found some new random back roads for us to travel on last night and said the views were amazing. once his truck is fully on the road (fingers crossed that it could be this weekend..our first adventure..a picnic..driving to no where and ice cream..i can not wait..

    as far as a long distance road trip is our our total dream to get an old Winnebago and travel across the country because we'd be able to take the girls with us..it will happen- we just need to start saving up for it! maybe we'll head up to Canada as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will also loves Richard Cheese! I feel like I want to go on a road trip too... if only I had more money :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. well i didn't go on any road trips this summer, but i did go on one with my best friend to N. Cal. two summers ago. my favorite part about being on the road is getting to see new places & experiencing the different cultures. it's awesome.

    xthesimplethingsx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm leaving on a road trip from Washington state to Virginia in a WEEK!! I'm so excited because I haven't experienced the US at all and have only been to a couple of states. And you read my mind, girl talk and richard cheese are THE thing to listen to on a road trip (or you know.. anytime).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been wanting to do a road trip for a while now too! We have decided that this year we would drive out to AZ for Christmas with my family so I am all kind of excited for that!

    And if you do find yourself on a road trip into the States you should come stop by the mountain!

    ReplyDelete