Wednesday, August 1, 2012

On being an old lady

Source
Do you ever feel like an old balls party pooper? I do. Like, all the time. Actually, I've almost grown accustomed to the feeling. I am so dependent on sleep that I find myself saying no to nights out more often than I say yes. Yesterday is a prime example. Last night there was event taking place at a local bar called Halloween in July. I was super excited about it and had even planned out my costume. I was going to be a flamingo. I was going to wear black tights, a bright pink top and a paper mache flamingo head made from scratch. Ian and I had even set aside Sunday afternoon for costume creation (he was going to be an octopus). But, that morning, I found out the event didn't start until 11 p.m. Yup, 11 p.m. on a Tuesday. Who the hell holds an event at 11 p.m. on a Tuesday night, you might ask. My conclusion: people far younger than us! And people who can afford a Wednesday morning hangover.

Remember the days when you could afford a Wednesday morning hangover? I think I can. I'm not quite sure, though. It very well could be a figment of my imagination. Maybe my brain is just trying to make me feel better about being an old lady at 25. It's just that I need my beauty sleep far more than I need a hangover. Is that so unreasonable? Probably. I am 25 after all.

Source

Ugh. When did I become such an old lady? Like seriously, when did the transition from spry, fun-loving young lady to sleepy, crotchety old lady happen?

Do you ever ask yourself that question? If I really think about it, I realize that in one way or another I've always been a bit of an old lady. I've always needed my sleep and I've always been the one to leave the party early, only half-cut when everyone else is already gunned. I guess I could just say I'm responsible. But I think there's more to it than that. I think I'm genuinely a party pooper. I think, sometimes, I just don't find drinking and partying and late nights fun.

You know what is fun, though? Costume parties at a decent hour! Sangria on a patio with friends (I did that last night instead of Halloween in July and managed to be home well before my bed time). Board games. Picnics. Bonfires. Reading in the sun. Drinking tea, homemade lemonade or delicious cocktails (in moderation). Conversation. Live music. Dance parties. Pajama parties. Movies. Fishing. Craft nights. And the list goes on. And as it does, it continues to peel back what's left of my young lady cloak, revealing the old lady I really am.

I guess it's just time I accept it. I'm old. I might not be old in years, but I'm old in spirit and in practice. And I think that's OK. I don't have to be a party animal. I don't have to wake up with mid-week hangovers. I don't have to sacrifice my beauty sleep. And I sure as hell don't have to watch Jersey Shore like all the youngins out there. Nope. I'm an old lady and I'm about ready to accept and embrace that. Bring on the curlers, elastic waistlines and slippers.

14 comments:

  1. Amen, sister! Welcome to the party pooper club I guess :oD

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Labels: 25 years old, beauty sleep, early bed time, old lady, old lady in young lady's body, party animal, too old"

    BAHAHAHAHAHA. I like you.

    I'm the same way -- I have to wake up early for work, so anything that goes past like, 10pm is out of the question. I also have the added bonus of being a "non-drinker," so it makes most social outings with those in my age group a little less... welcoming and/or enticing. I'm fine playing board games in my living room with my besties. Rarely does spending a night answering questions like "Wait, you're not having a beer? Why?" and "You're leaving ALREADY? How old are you, ninety?" sound appealing.


    Kayla ☆ www.kaylanaut.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes i am with you! can i add "afternoon naps at the weekend" to one of my MOST favourite things!! And add "with a warm blanket on top of me" to make it even better! Yikes! Maybe we are all so cool we are starting a trend? What shall we call it? igranny? Maybe there's an app? No .. wait.. thats for those youngsters.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Old ladies do it better! I can't really function without my 8 hours so I make my social schedule work around it rather than the other way around. Besides day drinking is always more fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm usually the one who doesn't even get out the door to the party!! A lot of our friends are younger than me, and even moreso younger than Matt, so they can stay up all night and be hungover in the morning -- me, I'm at the point where being hungover knocks me out for the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ask myself the question "when did you become an old lady?" all the time. The answer is that I have never not been an old lady. Haha, it's just who I am! A 11pm to bed, one glass of wine, sorry I don't drink beer kinda gal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been feeling the same way for the last few years. Especially when my single friends ask me to go out, or be a "wingman", all I want to do is stay home with my bf and kitty and watch a movie. Then I suggest lunch or coffee, during the day, duh, which makes me feel like a real old lady. You're not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny...I know a lot of real old ladies who are much more active after dark than you guys! HA!

    But seriously. I love afternoon naps, early dinners, and the "early to bed, early to rise" mantra.

    But I'm also a little closer to the grave than you (HA! Over thirty crowd here!), so I take advantage of those (infrequent) late nights out with friends, drinking my face off, and pretending I'm younger than I actually am.

    You're only as young as you feel, and you're only young once! And I can act like I'm twenty (only far less obnoxious), but have the brains of an old-lady-in-training to know when to say "enough"!

    Did that make sense? Or am I going senile in my old age...?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! I guess you put the 'ol' in Nicole... but I don't think these priorities make you an old fart! Much like your great rip of the 50 shades o' grey garbage... I think you are in fact a fantastic.unique.independent.brain-instead of-brainwashed.discerning chunk of awesome female'ness (now there's a mouthful)!
    I think society paints the standard picture of what is supposed to be 'fun' and 'living it up' at that age... but it's an empty bait & switch. The promise of fantastic fun... the reality of a sick stomach!

    Anywho, you being you is the best way to go. It keeps inspiring others to be the same. ;o)
    Mel
    needle and nest

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha this is my life! I am the complete opposite of a party girl. 11pm on a Tuesday is ridiculous!

    Becky
    xx

    http://www.beckybedbug.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here's to being old at heart! (Although I may have tried to pull it off for a costume party they are my favourite). at 24 I can only handle one hangover every 2 weeks maybe... and it takes allll day to recover...but I can recall back not too long ago when it didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm only 18 and I have that already! I like to go out, but I like to sleep more I guess. Lately, I've been hanging out with friends between 3pm and 8pm and that's perfect. Than I have a nice comfortable evening at home, haha. My boyfriend can hate me for it though so every once in a while I kinda force myself to go out but I always end up having an awesome time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm nearly 23, and although I love a good late night, I have to spend the entire next day wrapped up in a duvet. There's no way I could make it to work the next day if I stayed out later than 11! I love my sleep :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. welcome to the old ladies club..man if you are old at 25- what the hell am i at 36?! i've never really been one to party (i don't drink, smoke or do any party related activities haha) but i used to go to hardcore/punk/emo shows at all hours- hang out in which ever random city i was living in at the time..i think my status changed since i've been with my mister..he is more of a homebody too. so put two homebodies together and what do you get? yup two certified hermits that never leave their house. hahah thats not entirely true- but kinda?! my brother was in town a few weeks ago and we saw a movie and it got done after 11 - then went out for pizza. when i came home and got in bed it was after midnight - i turned and looked at the mister and said "Holy mother! I haven't been up this late in a really long time!" hahaha ha the joys of getting old and well- having to get up for work at 5:30am!

    ReplyDelete