Friday, August 31, 2012

Road trips and "ghost towns"

Photobucket
Remember last week when I was complaining that I wanted to go on a road trip? And remember how it was Erin from Charlie Foxtrot who fueled my desire to go to Drumheller? And remember how I was pointing the finger (specifically the middle one) at my house guests, saying they were the reason I couldn't go?

Funny story.

Last Saturday, my couch dwellers and I went on a little day trip. (Turns out they aren't to blame for my lack of road trippin'.) And we met up with Erin and Raimund. We didn't go to Drumheller, but we did go to a ghost town. OK. That's a lie. Not my lie, though. Wikipedia's lie. You see, our trusty online encyclopedia said it was a ghost town, but it turns out, people legit live there. There are even people building brand new log-style homes. (They aren't cabins. They're much too huge to be considered cabins.) So anyway, no ghosts. Womp. Womp.

Photobucket
Despite that, though, the trip was exactly what I needed. It got me out on the open road. I saw beautiful sites and I got to meet Erin and Raimund. Win-win-win. The only thing missing was the Richard Cheese and the honey mustard pretzels. We did start the day off with some greasy A&W, though, so I'll call that a win, as well.

So anyway, here are some pictures of Alberta's wannabe ghost town. Enjoy!

Photobucket
There are no gas pumps and the restaurant had one table. Enough said.

Photobucket
This little beauty was my favourite. It's just so darn cute with the stencils on the shutters.
Photobucket
Erin scopin' out the joint. She really wanted to go inside one of the houses. Who am I kidding, so did I.
Photobucket
This guy was hanging out on an overgrown road.
Photobucket
I'm not sure what this place is... or was.

Photobucket
And then there was the bright orange, locked shitter. It seems only Jim's trophies are welcome.

Well friends, there you have it, my road trip to a supposed ghost town that wasn't really a ghost town at all.

Have you ever been to a full-blown ghost town? Was it as magical as it sounds?

10 comments:

  1. "eat here and get gas" = advertising FAIL of epic hilarity! Should really be Taco Bell's slogan.

    Gorgeous shots!! Like yer face.
    xo
    Mel
    needle and nest design

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL good to know I wasn't the only person whose first thought was flatulence...

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. i saw that picture on her friend's blog and immediately burst out laughing. advertising at its finest!

      Delete
  2. I love that broken down old truck. Looks like 'mater from cars. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful Place ,love the Photos :)

    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my life goals is to go here one day: Salton Sea.

    It's like the Ghost Town of All Ghost Towns.

    (Also, what Melissa said about liking your face -- totally true here too!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fun! I like seeing this little place from both of your perspectives (I read Erin's post earlier this week). Gorgeous pics, as per usual.

    Oh, and I want Ian's shirt. I think he should participate in a future What To Wear post....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dat ass. I still need to send my photos to you! This weekend, cross my fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You guys look like you had such a lot of fun! Great pictures too!

    I recently wrote a few tips for roadtripping, you might find it interesting!

    x
    Megan

    ReplyDelete