Thursday, August 9, 2012

What to Wear: to the beach


Photobucket
Hey ladies! It's What to Wear time and this go-round we have a whole slew of bloggers participating, so when you finishing checking out my post, make sure you click on the links at the bottom to see what everyone else wears to the beach.

Anyway, on to business. When dressing for the beach, or in this case the lake and the concrete walking path that goes around it, I always put my hair up. Why you ask? Well, because although women in music videos and movies look steaming hot when they emerge from the water with wet hair, in reality, I look like a drowned rat. Like, seriously, it's pretty gross. So instead of attempting to make gross look good, I pull my hair up and call it a day. Good thinking, right?

Photobucket

As far as my swim suit goes, this year I've gone for the tankini. To be honest, I'm not totally stoked on the state of my belly at the moment, so I figure, why be self-conscious every time I want to go for a swim? So, now, I go with the cute covered-up look. No adjusting or sucking in for this girl. I let my belly hang out in all of it's glory. Maybe one day I'll sport a bikini again, but if not, who cares. I can look good and feel good at the beach without one. Heck ya!
Photobucket

I realized after the fact that I didn't take any photos without my shorts. Sorry for that. When I swim, those bad boys come off and I show of my short little limbs. My legs are actually my favourite part of my body. They are, and always have been, super strong and muscly, which I totally dig. So anyway, I wear the shorts on my way to the beach and ditch them once I'm there. (The idea of driving the 10 minutes from my house to the lake only wearing my bathing suit bottoms weirds me out. Don't judge me!)
Photobucket
From top to bottom:
Sunglasses: Ardenes
Bathing suit: Billabong
Shorts: Winners
Flippy floppies: Gifted
Photobucket
Of course the crowning glory of my beachwear are my flippy floppies. Are you guys sick of seeing photos of them yet? I hope not because I'm definitely not sick of showing them to you. These babies are my absolute favourite summer accessory. They make me swim faster and they shield me from the ouchy rocks beneath the water. They are summertime gold. As is this view...

Photobucket
Well ladies, that's it for me. Be sure to check out what the other What to Wear ladies have put together for beachwear. You can find their outfits at the following blogs:

Jill at Jilly BeansTALK
Sondra at Abhaya
Adriana at Horses of Ares
Lisa at Not Ladylike

If you're interested in joining in the What to Wear fun, send me an email. We'd love to have you along for the ride. Next time, we'll be dressing for What to Wear: to a bonfire. Do you have the perfect outfit to show off? Let me know!

13 comments:

  1. I am not usually a tankini fan, but yours is really cute! I like how it flows out making it look more like a shirt. Anyhoo, lovely as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you look great! i wear one of those swimsuits that have a little skirt to them for the same reason. i don't care if they're supposed to make you look middle aged.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh those shoes are so freaking awesome! Unfortunately, I only go swimming in inside pools where I live and only like, once in two months so I can't really use them :( I hope to be near an ocean, sea or lake in the future, preferably like the one you pictured, wow. And that tankini looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will never tire of seeing the flippy floppies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your flip floppies are freaking epic. I love them! Really cute outfit :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that you wear what you're comfortable in! I need to find a cute one piece or tankini. Annnnnd your shoes! I NEED!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i knew those flippies floppies would be showing their face again in this post! really cute outfit. i don't go to the beach, seeing as tho i'm a hermit and have a sun allergy!

    the last time i was at a beach was up in Maine. I only wear Kevin's old shorts that he no longer wants, so they are cute and baggy and then I was adventuresome and wore a bikini top. I thought I would be okay. But I seriously I was so grossed out by guys looking at my boobs that it was the last time I did that. Ever since - full tee shirt. I hate guys gawking. It's just such a gross feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those flip floppies are still amazing. I think you've got all your readers jealous! HA!

    I forgot how beautiful mountain lakes are. We've been haunting some Prairie Alberta lakes lately, and while these ones are nice and (thankfully) not full of algae, nothing compares to the view of mountains in the sky and water!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those shoes would perfect any summer outfit! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I've said this before, but I would just like to reiterate how much I love those flippy floppy footwear things! ^^

    xx

    Melissa @ Melicious

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it, can't wait to see what you do next! Come check out my blog, maybe we can follow each other!
    Material Fixations

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your flippy floppies are ridiculous and adorable and perfect. Well done, ma'am (and apologies for being so friggin' behind in my commenting!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have NEVER seen shoes like that before! What the?! If I swam more, I'd totally own some! I just took my sweet time to catch up on your blog, and oh my goodness! I'm so jealous of your mountain life. As much as I LOVE the red rock of the south, I cannot WAIT to get back to the north (1 1/2 weeks!!!). So close!

    ReplyDelete