Friday, September 14, 2012

25 days

Source
It just dawned on me that in less than a month, 25 days to be exact, I'll be 26. That means I have exactly 25 days to do everything I ever wanted to do before the 20-something teeter-totter fell to side that's closer to 30. I know 26 is still young, but, somehow, it just seems SO much older than 25. In fact, 25 was a good middle ground for me. I was out of the stage where people looked at me like a 20-something-year-old brat, but I was still young enough that no one was asking when I'm going to get married or have babies. (The answer to both: NEVER! Along with a little, mind your own damn business.)

Yikes, 26. How did you creep up on me like this? You're one stealthy year. Since there's no stopping time, I guess all I can do is make the best of my last 25 days as a spry 25-year-old... while of course also making all of my 26+ friends feel like they're ancient. Sorry about that, ladies!

Anyway, on to happier, younger thoughts. Here are the 25 things I want to accomplish in the next 25 days. (I know these are definitely things I can still do when I'm 26, but having a goal never hurt anybody, so stop raining on my parade and just go along with my fun little game, OK!?)

1. Buy a box of Smarties and eat the red ones last.
2. Have a solo dance party to Material Girl.
3. Watch Heathers and Pump Up the Volume just to fawn over. young Christian Slader.
4. Have a board game night.
5. Paint lawn gnomes.
6. Write a journal entry each day, even if it's just a list of random thoughts.
7. Go on more mushroom hunting adventures before they're all gone.
8. Visit the hot springs before they close.
9. Take my dad up the Tramway.
10. Send my mom a gift.
11. Skype with my brother and my nephews.
12. Make my sister a friendship bracelet.
13. Eat an ice cream cone before it gets too cold to enjoy one.
14. Photograph the fall colours.
15. Go for a drive with no destination in mind.
16. Roast smokies over a bonfire.
17. Go for a picnic.
18. Hit the last farmers' market of the season.
19. Make pineapple zucchini bread.
20. Get a haircut.
21. Go mini golfing.
22. Dance to the music of a live band.
23. Make a list of DIY projects to do this winter.
24. Do something spontaneous.
25. Have a movie night on the couch with popcorn, candy, cozy PJs, and lots of blankies.

26. Have the best birthday EVER!

Do you ever think about what you want to accomplish by a certain age? Or do you set silly little goals for yourself, like eating Smarties?

12 comments:

  1. I also really struggled when I turned 26.... though 27 was much easier. I think everyone has a "year" they don't want to turn! Enjoy your last 25 days of 25! ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, it sure does suck. I'm feeling old and I'm just 21! Awesome list; 3,4,5,7, 14, 16, 17, and 21 are all things I would definitely partake in!
    ♥ Jana

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1, 4, 5, 8 - YES!!! 14 and 15 together, for sure! 19 - yum and please share that recipe! 20 - got mine cut this week, feels so good to be pampered! 25 and 26 -- yes, yes, yes!!! :) And, I am 30, about to be 31, and it feels better every year. I don't feel old, not even a smidge. 26 will be FAB, fab I tell you, and your 30s will be amazing. Trust me! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm on the brink of 26 too, and I agree- it does seem a whole lot older than 25. I wouldn't mind accomplishing all these things pre-26 too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's reassuring to know 25 was good for you -- I'm turning 25 in a little under two weeks! I should probably make a list of the things I want to accomplish in that quarter-century birthday milestone yeah. ;)

    I wanna know what you end up playing for board game night! Depending on the company you invite, might I recommend some Cards Against Humanity? Something tells me you might get a kick out of it... it's like Apples To Apples, but for people with, uh, how should I put this -- a *unique* sense of humor?

    I would not play it with parents. Or kids. Or anyone who can't laugh at a good Glenn Beck joke. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful list of things to do! In fact - I would like to do each and every single one of those! I am personally a huge fan of the 3pm kitchen dance parties (which almost always start off with "Can't Touch This") which my niece Jean particularly enjoys.

    As for 26 - I wish you the best of luck! You are still in your mid 20's and are wise enough to enjoy life all the more. I turned 28 this August and since I work with a whole bunch of kids born in the 90's (ack!) I always feel ancient (but this post just made me smile)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This list is absolutely amazing! I mean paint lawn gnomes, I love it! Hope you get the list done and have the absolutely best birthday ever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always used to eat the blue Smarties last! I'd eat them in colour order. Such a weird child!

    My best friend once had a gnome painting birthday party. We all dressed up as gnomes and painted them. So much fun! ...We were 23!

    Becky
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. i feel so ancient compared to you and everyone else that commented..how did i get so old?! i don't look it or feel it - but that number the number is starting to haunt me. especially now that i am on the other side of 35. i've been thinking a lot lately of what i want to have accomplished by 40. i figure if i give my self 4 years i sure hope i can have everything done on my list. i've starting compiling it. i am going to have some real easy things all the way to major life changing goals.

    good luck with your list everything looks very doable, just make sure to cross one off each day. and too bad we dont live closer because i would totally be down for the pump up the volume and heathers movie fest!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 26 isn't so bad!!! But I do like your list a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks fantastic! what a great list. I'm counting down to 26, too

    ReplyDelete
  12. number 1 and 5! YES! pineapple zuchinni bread sounds amazing

    <3 katherine
    of corgis and cocktails

    ReplyDelete