Monday, September 10, 2012

A girl can dream

Photobucket
Photobucket

While I was out on an assignment Friday, I came across this AH.MAZING camper parked at Athabasca Falls. The plates said Alaska. I imagine that the owners drove the scenic route to Jasper, the reverse of the scenic route to Alaska that's advertised on the highway with a huge sign. Every time Ian and I drive past that sign, one of us says, "Shall we take the scenic route to Alaska!?" We laugh and then carry on our way. Although the words aren't spoken, I can almost guarantee that Ian, like me, wishes we could just say, "Let's do it!" So, we could swerve off the highway with our sights set North.

The idea of a trip to Alaska couldn't be more appealing. I truly love Canada's North, so I can only assume I would love the American North. The idea of making the trip in a cute little camper makes it all the more dreamy. I can totally picture Ian behind the wheel of the goofy little camper pictured above, with me next to him manning the music and the snacks.

One day we'll get there. I'm sure of it. But, for now, I leave you with some photos of the campers that have me dreaming about Northern adventures.



1/2/3

Do you ever dream of traversing the country with a cute little camper? What would be your ultimate road trip? 

11 comments:

  1. I've done that drive! Woot woot! Except, we didn't have a camper. Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope to one day visit Alaska too... or better yet, to hike to it! I live only 20 minutes away from the border of BC and love the landscape of where I live. I think it can only get better the more north I go. I'd love to explore Alaska and also more of Canada, especially BC since it's right there.

    I've also been seeing so many of those tiny houses on wheels lately too. Have you heard of this 'tiny house' movement? It's preeeeeeetty awesome. People are starting to consider the impact of living in ginormous spaces and cutting down their living size to tiny instead. Also... it's easier for builders because you don't need to follow as many building codes or file for as many silly applications! There are a crapton of super cool architecture designs from hobbit holes to tree houses to campers to mudhouses, the majority of which are focused on being environmentally friendly and very sustainable. My boyfriend and I have become infatuated with the idea of living in a tiny home (hobbit hole please!) and maybe one day we'll actually do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness that camper is absolutely amazing! I would love to see the insides! I'm right there with you about getting a little camper and just taking off and seeing all the beautiful sites this land has to offer. I've only been to Alaska once for when I was younger and what I can remember of it, it was absolutely amazing! I would love to go back and explore it more!

    Will and I actually almost bought an old school bus to convert into a little camper and drive it across the country to Arizona for Christmas. We seriously were so close to buying when we found out we were going to have one hell of a time trying to insure it. Boo! I'm hoping we can still do something like that (maybe with a little vintage camper) sometime soon. Because seriously that just sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the teardrop trailers! Once my kids grown up and leave home (forcably or by choice!) I plan to get one and travel everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also always laugh at that sign! Do they have a non-scenic route as well?

    That camper is kickin! I think I could probably handle that kind of trip by myself, but close quarters with the boys for that long might have me going batty before we get through BC.

    I have been seeing a lot more pod-campers out and about. But I saw the funniest little "camper" when we went out to the lake in August. I even took a photo...I should share!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great little camper! And yes, go to Alaska! my trip there this summer was beyond wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes Yes and yes.... a road trip up to alaska is huge on my bucket list for living out west, and a camper or VW bus would be the way to do it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome post, girl. Nick and I had actually talked about going on a roadtrip to Alaska (because he lived there for a few years & misses it) and he wanted to take that road up through Canada. We're almost on the border of Mexico, so I don't know if we'll ever get that far! But dreaming is fun~

    xo, Adriana.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those little campers are too funny!

    I lived in Grande Prairie for 2 years and we always had the influx of Americans doing their Alaska pilgrimage every year. I think it would be cool to see but my goodness, that's a long drive!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When we were driving from Jasper to Vancouver, I was thinking "maybe we could just drive north to Alaska"

    I really hope to go there someday

    ReplyDelete