Thursday, September 27, 2012

Ladies of the Mountains: my favourite hike

Photobucket
Today the mountain mavens are meant to talk about our favourite hikes. But, I'm finding it too gosh darn hard to just pick one. I know that's what everyone else is going to do, but for me, it really just depends.

I mean, if I want to see the town and the mountains from above without having to drive too far out of town, I go up behind Pyramid Lake:

Photobucket If I want to see lots of gorgeous turquoise water and at times feel like I'm in an enchanted forest, I go to the Valley of the Five Lakes:

Photobucket
If I want to see and photograph mushrooms or watch the leaves change colours before my eyes, I go to Cottonwood Slough:

Photobucket
And if I want to go somewhere close to home, that requires no driving and provides me with plenty of options and routes, I go up on the bench:

Photobucket Anyway, you get the idea. Jasper is full of trails. In fact, there are 250 kilometres of multi-use trails in the park. So, basically, there are always new places to go and things to see. I guess, if I had to pick a favourite trail, I'd say it's the trail I haven't yet hiked. What I mean is, every time I hike a new trail, it becomes my favourite. There is always something new and beautiful to discover and it's always so much fun to be somewhere I haven't yet been.

What's your favourite hike? And what makes it your fave?

Before you run away and forget about the outdoors, be sure to check out what hikes the other Ladies of the Mountains chose:

Gentri of Gentri Lee
Lena of Musings
Michelle of On The Adventure
Meagan of The Egg Out West
Kelley of A Crooked Trail

9 comments:

  1. Oh my word all these places are beyond amazing looking! Ahh, one day I will make it up there and just spend a good week or two hiking around all of these absolutely amazing places!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Pyramid Lake. Love Valley of the Five Lakes, although it's been ages since I've been up there. (hmmm...)

    When I was a youngun we used to come to Jasper every Thanksgiving with my grandparents. And we would just drive until we found a nice parking lot and then explore. My favourite place in Jasper (and the world, really) is Mt Edith Cavell, and one year we started wandering in the creek bed away from the glacier. And we just kept going and going until we got tired. That was the best hike ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just know i would enjoy living there. If I didn't have to go to massage and nail tech school JUST to be able to work outside the US i would be moving to Jasper in a heart beat. I guess i could try getting a job doing makeup for local tv or something....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well way to make my travel itch turn into travel torture. Holy geez girl, this is where you live?? I can't even comprehend that. Freaking beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pretty sure Joe and I did the Pyramid Lake hike - we went in the off season and it was so quiet and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome! we live in Nother Idaho in the mountains, too! I can't wait to get back from Russia and go hiking with Ben again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos. My favorite hike (thus far) has been to Snake Mountain in Vermont. It's an easy hike reaching a plateau at top and you can see the Champlain Valley and Lake Champlain with the Adirondack Mountains on the other side of the lake. Makes me miss home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Valley of the Five Lakes is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete