Thursday, September 13, 2012

Ladies of the Mountains

Drum roll, please! No. Stop. That was pathetic. Try that again, and make it louder and more enthusiastic. Take inspiration from the guy in the marching band whose hat strap goes under his nose. Perfect! You got it.

Thanks, friends. That's just the kind of introduction I needed for the unveiling of the latest and greatest series you'll be finding here on Gypsy in Jasper. It's called Ladies of the Mountains. Sounds magical, right? Well, that's because it is.

Photobucket

You see, every two weeks, I'll be here on the ol' blog posting about mountain related things and at the same time five other magnificent mountain mavens will be doing the same on their blogs. Who might these explorers be, you ask? Well, of course, they are Gentri of Gentri Lee, Lena of Musings, Michelle of On The Adventure, Meagan of The Egg Out West, and last, but definitely not least, Kelly of A Crooked Trail. Quite the lineup, eh? Aren't you excited to see what we have in store for all of you?!

Photobucket
For our first Ladies of the Mountains post, we present to you, outdoor wear. In my case, an outfit I wore on a little mushroom hunting adventure last weekend. If you've been paying attention, you saw some of the those photos yesterday. If not, here's the link. You'll wanna check them out. (Demanding, aren't I?!)

Photobucket My standard outfit when I'm out in the wilderness is my little shoulder backpack, my camera, my hikers, a pair of old well-worn jeans and a cozy sweater. Often I'll also throw on a hat to protect myself from pesky ticks and the like. In this case, I risked it and came out alive. Phew!

Photobucket
These hikers are gold! I found them at a flea market in Yellowknife a couple years ago for $2.75. They are definitely a kick back to the 80s or early 90s, but they were already broken-in to perfectly fit my feet. I remember taking a second to hum and haw over buying them, which now has me shaking my head. They have been in heavy rotation ever since I brought them home. I don't know what I would have done without them! I honestly dread the day they start to fall apart and I have to go on the hunt for another pair.

Photobucket
This alpaca sweater is another thrift find. I got it here in Jasper at the local church sale that happens a couple times a week. I love wearing it for outdoor adventures because it's cute, warm and super soft. That's a triple win in my books. I'm sad to say that it's already almost too cold for it here in the mountains. I went for a hike on Tuesday night and had a frozen nose and fingers by the end. It's almost time to pull out the toques and scarves in these here parts!!

Well friends, that's all from me today. I hope you enjoyed my first Ladies of the Mountains post. We'll have our next one up Sept. 27. On that day, we'll put fashion aside and talk about our favourite hikes.

See you next time! Don't forget to check out what the other LOTM ladies wore on their outdoor adventure!

11 comments:

  1. Eeee! I am so excited for this! Congratulations lady, you are in the company of some wonderful other bloggers out there, or should I say the other bloggers get to be in your wonderful company! Seriously I am all kinds of excited/poured, is that really weird? Hehe.

    Side note I kind of love the picture of you and the sign, it's pretty much beyond the greatest photo ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Can't wait to read more from the "moutain mavens" - too cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is going to be so rad....and make me even more jealous of your glamorous lifestyle than ever!

    Also....nice friendship bracelet! WOO HOO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet that sign post was not expecting that kind of action haha!! Girl you are a LOTM after my heart, this post rocks! That sweater? I just want to snuggle all up inside it and sleep for days!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loooove your sweater. It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i wanna live in the mountains! ugh..but sadly i do not and can not be part of the cool crowd. darn it all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh I'm excited for this series! I live surrounded by mountains, but I never manage to find the time to go in them. Too rooted to my city, I suppose. And I hear you on thrifted shoes--every now and then I find the best pair and I can't imagine how I lived life without them. Most of the time, though... ick.. It's dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun series! Can other bloggers join? I'm a mountain girl, I love going to the mountains :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that sweater, this looks like it's going to be an exciting blog series!

    ReplyDelete
  10. first of all, this is a wonderful series. second, I'm digging that backpack.

    ReplyDelete
  11. aaaa i want to be in your team, too! so cool :-)

    ReplyDelete