Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Mushroom hunting: part one

Photobucket
Ian has an affinity to mushrooms and fungus. He hates to eat them, but he LOVES to photograph them. He sees something beautiful or mystical or ominous in each one and it's those qualities that he strives to capture. When we moved to Jasper nearly a year ago, Ian was feeling a bit down and out. I had torn him away from everything and everyone he had ever known. At that time, I tried to drag him out of the house to go on a mushroom hunting adventure, but he just wasn't having it.

This year, though, well, this year is a whole different story. On the weekend, we went out and ended up spending a few hours kneeling in soaking wet moss and bending into uncomfortable, unsightly yoga poses just to get the perfect shots. Half the time, I was Ian's lighting assistant, holding a flash this way or that, and the other half of the time, I was either scouting out the perfect mushrooms for him, or I was attempting to capture them myself.

Photobucket
Pictured here today, are the photos that I captured. I will freely and quickly admit, that mine don't even come close to Ian's, some of which you can see on his website. I don't have his eye, nor his talent for photography. But, even so, I give it an honest go and I attempt to capture the beauty I see without getting fancy with my techniques or my lighting. I just get in close, fiddle with my settings and then point and shoot.

Photobucket
I adore this mushroom. It's so creepy, almost like something you would find in a Tim Burton movie. This little guy had just started decomposing, so it was getting all gooey and drippy. Ick! But, so cool. Ian got a particularly great photo of it, that I can't wait to see blown up as a huge print for our bedroom wall. Have I ever mentioned that our bedroom is surrounded by Ian's mushroom photos? I love them. As he would say, they look like tiny alien landscapes.

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket Well friends, there you have it, a select few photos from my first mushroom hunting adventure of the season. I have plenty more where that came from. In fact, I have a whole other adventure's worth. I'll be sure to get those edited and ready to go ASAP. I'm sure you're dying to see more, right!?

What's your favourite thing to photograph?

13 comments:

  1. So cool! I love mushrooms! they are so mystical and magical found wild in the forestt :) My favorite thing to photograph is nature, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ian, what a fun-guy... fungi ... perfect!!
    These shots are fantabulous, I so love mushrooms... and my daughter has had a woodland themed birthday every year so far in lieu of that! This year for #3, she'll be lil' red riding hood. Oh yah!

    Glad you guys had such a great time, good teamwork out there. ;o)
    mel
    needle and nest design

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Ian's portfolio is impressive! I'm in love with the "Full Service Clouds" photo... it looks like a large metal Polaroid picture holding the sky. Fucking rad.

    Your shots are quite lovely too! You have a good sense of framing. I've always wanted to try my hand at macro photography, but those lenses are damn expensive... :[

    ReplyDelete
  4. My boyfriend didn't believe me when I told him I wasn't the only one obsessed with scouting for mushrooms and taking pictures of them. So ha! Love love mushrooms! I need to learn how to identify them so I can figure out which ones I can eat..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pictures are beautiful! I'm sure Ian's are lovely as well, but he's not my Internet-BFF, so he gets no props from me here...wink!

    I like to photograph nature, cause it usually stands still for me and I can take my time.

    But as far as art goes, I am continually drawn to faces. If I could have someone sit still for me for more than the 4 seconds I get from Dude, (and maybe 10 I get from Russ) I would be a happy camper indeed!

    You have inspired me to take a nature walk this week. I am in need of some quiet reflection, and also to get my ass out of the house. Just what the doctor ordered!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always wanted to go mushroom hunting! A friend of mine goes in Seattle area quite often. Hope I can go sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you guys go mushroom hunting, and that your room is full of pictures like this. It's so quirky and adorable, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! I love mushrooms too! I actually included one in todays blog post... not really, but you might like it. haha! AND! I've just recently become a fan of eating them. They're SO good for you (and your skin!) that I decided to give it a REAL shot. And I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. and his photos are STUNNING as are yours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, those are gorgeous!!! Foraging for mushrooms is such fun. Thanks for sharing! xo

    Jessa

    www.pearllovesearl.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. The first time I went hiking I became obessed with taking pictures of mushrooms too. I even bought a book to find out what they all were. It's so much fun!!! It's a little scary to eat them in the wild though because some look so similar that are edible + poisonous. We are going backpacking soon so I hope to find some. ♥Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  12. I must say Nicole, those are great shots! I, myself, am a mushroom hunter. If you want to go look for more, the places where they usually grow are near oak logs, such as cultivated shiitakes or certain types of pine trees for chantrelle mushrooms. Basically, shrooms grow in healthy forests, especially those that had not been affected by manmade or natural disturbances because chances are, mushrooms don’t go back to such places. You should also try growing mushrooms at home using jars, observe how they grow and maybe, you can create an album showing the stages of growing mushrooms. Growing them usually last 2 – 4 weeks.

    Mack Shepperson

    ReplyDelete
  13. yay to mushrooms and beautiful photos! so pretty! great job, Nicole!

    ReplyDelete