Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Thankful Tuesdays: playing tourist

Photobucket I love playing tourist in my own town. There is just so much to see in Jasper. There are lakes and mountains galore. If you drive 30 minutes or less in any direction, you end up at another gorgeous spot. It's truly amazing. So, this week, I'm thankful to have had my dad visiting over the weekend. It had been about 40 years since he was last here, so it was fun to see the town through his eyes and to play tourists together.

Photobucket
Aside from exploring, it was also nice to just hang out and chat. We hadn't seen each other IRL in a year and a half, since his 75th surprise birthday in Vancouver, so there was a lot of catching up to do. And, plenty or reminiscing to do, as well. Daddy-o had plenty of old stories to share about his first time through Jasper. He had just arrived in Canada by boat (in 1956) from Holland and was taking the train across the country from Halifax to Vancouver, where he would be living. He made a short stop here, but there was snow and fog covering all of the beautiful mountains. I love hearing my dad's experiences as a fresh-off-the-boat immigrant. He had so many adventures, and, since he came here with only high school level English, many slip ups. The tales are endless and almost always humourous.

Photobucket
What are you thankful for this week? Did you have any visitors? Or did you act like a tourist in your own town?

9 comments:

  1. I can't believe,(and do I say this in every comment?) that this is where you live. It's like a postcard. I have only seen mountains and beauty like this in paintings, my friend. Must be glorious. So glad you got to spend some time with your Dad. My dad comes out about once a year for a visit, and I miss him every day. Wishing you a wonderful Tuesday. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Playing tourist in your own city is one of the funniest things to do, especially witha family member or friend. I can hardly wait for my dad to come out to the mountain so I can show him around, and maybe even check out some spots I haven't had a chance to see yet.

    So happy to hear you had a great visit with your dad! And seriously these photos are beyond gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never get to show people around Edmonton...hmm...I should try and remedy that. I hear there is a cute Gypsy coming to town this weekend. Maybe she would like to "see some sites"...

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! I love listening to stories like that...to hear what it was like to immigrate during that time period, it would be no where near the same experience today!
    http://aslouisepleases.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow- you really do live in a beautiful place!! So great that you appreciate that and that you got to spend this time exploring with your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so beautiful there! My bestie moved to my city recently, and I'm loving rediscovering places with her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That first photo is absolutely amazing!
    I do love finding new little treasures in my own town, sometimes when you least expect it (usually by getting lost).

    Sincerely,
    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a wonderful visit! it looks like the two of you had a great time :) that's really special that you got to share in this experience together. i'm thankful for the break in the weather this week--it's been hot as molasses here in florida, and it's finally starting to cool down! yay fall!

    xo,
    kristyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. so beautiful! Whenever I have guests I try to take them out on some of the pretty hikes in the area. We don't have many lakes but we are about 40 minutes from the ocean which is great

    ReplyDelete