Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Thankful Tuesdays: youthful hangovers


To be completely honest, this week I'm thankful that hangovers only last a day. Yikes! I say those words with thanks, but also with the knowledge that in my youth, a hangover only lasted a morning, and to overcome it, all I needed was some water, Tylenol and a greasy breakfast. Lately, that's just not the case. In fact, it seems the morning after headache and tummy ache has now turned into a full day of misery. I must admit, I'm beginning to worry that as the years tick by, these awful, grumbly times will turn into days and then weeks of feeling like butts.

I imagine my life will go something like this: It's Saturday night. I drink. It's Sunday, I feel awful. It's Monday, I still feel awful. It's Tuesday, the awful persists. This will carry on until it's Saturday again. I'll feel better. I'll drink. And then Sunday will roll around and I'll feel awful. Monday, still awful. Well, you get the idea. If this is in fact how things go when you're old, I fear, I'll have to quit drinking. I just can't sustain a life where I feel like butts all day, everyday. I kind of like it when I don't notice my insides or my brain. It's nice when there's nothing pounding or gurgling. Also nice, being able to eat without instantly wanting to throw up.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, here's to youthful hangovers.

What are you thankful for this week?

9 comments:

  1. I wouldn't call myself 'old' but I'm definitely older than you and I promise you.....hangovers DO in fact get worse as you age. It takes me about 4 days to feel normal again after a REALLY FUN night. It's hardly worth it anymore. Sad--I know :o(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say, I've never had a hangover *knock on wood* I've witness them! They seem pretty miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you say things are the "butts." It always makes me smile. :) And yes, I have to REALLLLY watch it bc I have been known to puke into the afternoon of the next day. It's horrible. And it makes me feel very, very old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah... see - i knew i didn't drink for a reason hahah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found the secret to drinking and not being hungover. Thermogenics! Although my healthier friends tell me I'm crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to over-indulge early in the night and be sober by the time I go to bed. Hangovers are virtually non-existent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my gosh, i totally know how you feel. i swear the second i turned 24 I could not handle alcohol anymore. Two glasses of wine and I'm hungover for a week. damn you old age!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hangovers last a full day for me now too... when I first started college drinking didn't affect me at all! I just have to pace myself much more and drink water... but it feels so boring!

    ReplyDelete