Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Three days on the water

Photobucket I honestly don't even know where to start. I almost just want to say, "my three days hopping between a 25-foot Vietnam War raft and a wee-little yellow raft were wicked-awesome... The end." But, I won't. Don't you worry your pretty little heads. I'll tell you more. Because I know you're just dying to hear all about my adventure. Amiright?

Photobucket
Well, we floated. We hit big waves. We got wet. We paddled. We bumped into rocks. We got stuck on rocks. We ducked under sweepers (low-lying trees). We saw bald eagles and a turkey vulture. We drank beers. We sang songs. We ate the most amazing campfire meals I've ever had. We did our business in the bush and slept in warm sleeping bags. We enjoyed beautiful views. We set up camp. We took down camp. We drank cowboy coffee. We laughed. We got dirty. And we made it from point A to point B.

Photobucket Our first day out on the rafts was a chilly one. By the time we hit the shore of our first campsite, I was soaked and shivering. But, have no fear, I was with expert campers who had a fire roaring in no time. It also didn't hurt that the tent Ian and I just bought was super-duper easy to assemble, so before I knew it, I was in fresh, dry clothes, standing with my butt facing the fire. Ahhhh... camping!

Photobucket
Ian's oh!-so-clever drying device.

The second night was my favourite. The island we chose was just gorgeous. The bench the team put together with drift wood was as impressive as a 1970s sectional. The music was amazing. Dinner was delicious. And, that was also the night that we all sported antlers and crowns made from sticks, bark, leaves and old man's beard.

Photobucket
Two of our crew members (the chef and our master raft guide) are missing from this photo.
On our final day, we ended up at one of the most beautiful waterfalls I've ever seen. But, before anyone had a real chance to enjoy its beauty, this happened:

Photobucket I'll admit, I wasn't brave enough to get in there myself, but everyone who did made it look a bit like a Herbal Essences commercial. In other words, it was magical to watch.

Photobucket

All in all, the trip was as idyllic as this photo of Dave and Jim. As we drew close to the end, we all wished there was at least one more day to go. But, long weekends have to end sometime and everybody's gotta work. So, we packed it in and chalked the weekend up as one for the books.

What did you-all do for Labour Day long weekend? Anything fun?

14 comments:

  1. Yeah, like my Labour Day weekend even compares to yours! We did lots of "putzing around" and "doing dishes" and "napping" and "eating" and...yeah...that about sums it up.

    Your weekend kicks my weekend's ass into next Friday. Dude! No Fair!!

    Also, you have set the bar REALLY HIGH for when I come visit you......HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. THANKS FOR THOSE SWEET STICKERS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have been under that waterfall IMMEDIATELY. Fear of bears, definitely, but I embrace water like a mofo.

    Because I'm secretly a mermaid.

    Shhhh, it's a secret.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing trip! I too am a secret mermaid..can't keep me out of water...ever ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOoooooooOOooh, Ahhhhhhhhhh... you know how to live up a long weekend right!
    Glad you got to soak up all that natural beauty (other than soaking up that waterfall I guess)! Good thing you just excelled at a survival training course in prep for this adventure (was your lip balm safely secured in a sexy fanny-pack I hope?!). ;o)
    Thanks for sharing those fun pics.. but when you say you're warming your buns that makes me want to see a 'blue angel' shot, so I'm left a little disappointed. Ah well!!
    mel
    needle and nest design

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am super jealous! I don't think I've been legit *camping* in close to 7 or 8 years. I love my little cabin in the woods, but there's something so... ruggedly awesome about just pitchin' a tent and going all-out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW. You just owned everyone's Labor Day weekend. Everyone~ Mine was rather lazy & boring but I spent it with someone I love so it was nice. Funny thing is, my boyfriend's family took the opportunity to go camping that weekend and we had to stay behind due to school & responsibility-crap. I think I'll just live vicariously through you now :) haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so, so envious. my long weekend consisted of going to a farmers market..antiquing.. and lots of hours staring at a computer trying to come up with the perfect design/layout for the shop (which didn't happen)

    glad you had such an amazing weekend!

    veranellies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a GREAT trip. My husband and I would love to do that. I tried to talk him into a hiking weekend, but he had a fantasy football draft he could not miss. Haha. We also went to a football game and relaxed most of the weekend with the exception of running. ♥Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such fun! Those photos of the shoes and socks drying are PERF. Just completely the epitome of the outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These photos are absolutely amazing! I think they have made me even more jealous than I already was when I heard about your trip! Glad you had an absolutely amazing time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a brilliant sock drying idea!
    this looks like such a fun trip

    xo the egg out west.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great blog. I just came back from trip to Banff and Jasper and no doubt those places are beautiful. I just uploaded some photos to my blog you may like.

    Best Places to Travel

    ReplyDelete