Friday, October 19, 2012

Mind blowing garden gnomes

Photobucket

Remember how garden gnome painting was on my list of 25 things to do before I turned 26? Well, Ian and I finally got around to it... two weeks after my birthday. Better late than never, right!?

Our thrifted little men, an accordion player and a fiddle player, had literally been primed white for three months. And, they'd been sitting on a coffee table that way, looking slightly creepy, all this time. But, now, three months later, they are totally revamped. Seriously, wait until you see the before and after pictures. They are going to blow your mind. That's right, mind blowing garden gnomes are in the HOUUUUUSE.

Photobucket Admittedly, these guys were cute before they got a coat of paint. I mean, they're just so sweet and innocent looking. But, after, oh! after. They just look so much more us. Amiright!?

PhotobucketIf you can't tell, the one on the left is mine and the one on the right is Ian's. Mine went from being a friendly old man to being a friendly young man, while Ian's went from being a friendly old man to a scary mariner with no eyeballs. Weird? Yes. So totally Ian. Absolutely!

I assume garden gnome painting is self explanatory, but, in case it's not, here are some pointers:

Photobucket

1) Spray paint the entire gnome white, making sure to use long strokes rather than concentrated sprays, so you end up with an even coat.

Photobucket
2) Let dry.

3) Paint however you like. (If you're into Ian's bloody mariner look, use hot glue as texture for the blood and once it's dry, paint the glue red.)

Photobucket

4) Spray the entire gnome with lacquer. (We haven't done this step yet. It's on my new to-do list.)

5) Display in your garden, or, in our case, on your shelf.

*In other gnome-related news, I've decided that's what I want to be for Halloween! I was totally inspired by our little painting party, so now I need to get down to business on a costume. Wish me luck!*

19 comments:

  1. Haha, this is awesome. We have a gnome collector in the family and now I'm tempted to steal a few and return with a new look...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh.my.goodness! You just went up like 5 levels of coolness (and hilarity) in my books!! We kind of have a 'thing' for gnomes around these parts too.. one highlight of our honeymoon being when we happened upon a 'gnome-makers' shop tucked away in Quebec!
    I blame "Amelie" for this infatuation. Good luck costume making, I had our daughter dressed as one last year... if you need any ideas! ;o) (http://needleandnestdesign.blogspot.ca/2011_10_01_archive.html)

    Ian cracks me up.
    mel
    needle and nest design

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is AWESOME! SO much better the way you painted them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. UGH will you just move here already so we can be BFFs? I mean seriously, jeeeeeez.


    ... That was San Francisco slang for "I sincerely think you're so cool."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah! I love it so much! The zombie one is TOO fantastic! And your old to young man is so cute too. I love them!

    xomando

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh that's awesome and you rock. And Ian rocks too. Your gnomes must be so much happier to have their little personalities finally shine through their original paint jobs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh. You don't even know how much I love gnomes. Those are amazing! Good luck with your gnome costume(that's what we're dressing my 10 month old niece up as too)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are so awesome! I've never thought about painting a gnome, but now I want to. The bloody mariner is so terrifying. You should keep him outside as a Halloween decoration and scare away all the children.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is amazing! My best friend had a gnome painting party for her 23rd birthday. So much fun!

    Becky
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is awesome! My roommate and I have been meaning to pick up a couple to zombify all crazy like for what feels like forever now. Procrastination for the win!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE YOUR GNOMES! The zombie one is the best...sorry dear. I just dig zombies! What a fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH MY GOD!! The zombie gnome is AMAZING! They both are!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. these are fantastic. and terrifying :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks like so much fun! Perhaps I'll give it a try next time I'm feeling crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness just when I thought you couldn't get anymore wonderful, you paint garden gnomes! I'm not sure why but I have always loved them since I was small, and this really makes me want to get some gnomes of my own and do a little painting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Zombiegnome. ZOMBIE GNOME.

    Maybe its because The Walking Dead is on tonight. Or maybe its because its a zombie gnome. Either way its freeeeaky. And your's is fantastic. Or gnome-tastic?

    Yep, I went there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there, greetings from Northern Ontario. I'm just stopping by from Christine's blog to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete