Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Thankful Tuesdays: being a big girl edition

Source
Guys! Not only did I make it to Edmonton ALL BY MYSELF yesterday, I also stayed in a hotel room ALL BY MYSELF, I drove in the city ALL BY MYSELF and I even found where I needed to go ALL BY MYSELF.

This is a big deal. A really, really big deal. I mean, yes, I'm an independent woman in most things, but driving and being in a strange city, well, those just aren't things that I do all alone. I have moved across the country alone more than once. I have flown alone a bazillion times. I've eaten in restaurants alone. I've gone on solo hikes. I've done tons of things alone. But, for some reason, the things I do alone just aren't that scary to me. I mean, I get butterflies when I move to a new place and don't know anyone, and when I eat alone, I wonder if everyone's watching me, but those are fears I can handle.

Driving in general, for me, is the most anxiety filled activity EVER, so to have driven TO the city alone, driven IN the city alone and figured out directions on my own, I feel like the champ of all champs. I am for-serious on top of the world. And, for that I am thankful. I'm thankful that I was forced to challenge myself and I'm thankful that I lived up to the challenge.

(If you didn't read my post on Sunday, I found out on Friday that I had to go to Edmonton for work this week, and because it's in the middle of the week, I had to make the drive ALL BY MYSELF, rather than having Ian act as my chauffeur, as I would have much preferred.)

What are you guys thankful for this week? Have you concurred any of your fears or surprised yourself with how capable you actually are? Tell me about, won't you?

13 comments:

  1. Drive safe! If jasper has as much snow as Prince George be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! I'm so glad you've made it there and back again safely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. phew... and everyone else on the road around you LIVED to tell too?! Amazing job power house wonder woman!! Maybe I should 'woman' up and actually get my license then eh? eh? ;o)

    Thanks for letting us know you made it there.. and back again. Excited for this victory to fuel you forward in further fear-squashing!

    xo
    mel
    needle and nest

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, good job! I remember when I took my first-ever trip alone as a big girl, out to L.A. to help with a theater production, and it was exhilarating and terrifying! I would do it again in a heartbeat, though. :]

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how you feel. Good job though! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm totally the opposite, I'm a much more confident driver alone, doesn't matter where (first time I drove into down town toronto by myself I rocked it woo) but as soon as someone's in the car with me, it's like I have an audience and suddenly am much much worse at it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Congrats on doing it, that's great!

    This week I'm overcoming a fear too: the one that makes me quit my job without having a new one yet! (tomorrow is my last day in the oddice)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! I very much share your driving anxiety, even though I am totally fine doing everything else alone. I'm especially scared of driving in the city (I live just outside of Boston) so definitely proud of you for that one :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should've told me you were coming here! We could've went and ate good stuff and such!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Found you threw Little Lady Little City and I just have to say I totally could've written this like a year ago. I have a job involving travel, meaning I have to rent a car AND find a hotel in a brand new city all by myself on a regular basis. It was TERRIFYING (like seriously, I cried the whole way to the airport) but I was so proud of myself when I was successful. And now it's old hat! :) Good for you and best of luck! <3

    ReplyDelete