Monday, October 22, 2012

What to Wear: to welcome winter

Photobucket Well folks, as you can see, autumn is now a distant memory here in Jasper. We had snow Friday night and Saturday and I think it might be here to stay. I've always had mixed feelings about the snow. Actually, to be honest, I used to hate it. I think that's mostly because of growing up on Vancouver Island in a town where we'd get two days of snow followed by three days of rain. The first two days would be awesome. We would build forts, have snowball fights and just enjoy every minute of our time jumping around in white powder. Then, the following week would be miserable as the snow and rain would mix to make a horrendous slushy mess. Ick! It actually wasn't until I moved to Yellowknife in 2010 that I grew to appreciate the snow. And this year, I'm actually excited to see it.

Photobucket
I actually didn't even know about Friday night's snowfall until Saturday morning. I was lying in bed scrolling through my Twitter-feed, trying not to wake Ian, when I read that Maligne Lake Road had received 25 centimetres of snow the previous night. When I read those words, I immediately sprang up to take a peak through the blinds... promptly waking Ian who I hit in the face on my way up. Whoops.

Photobucket
Anyway, this is what I wore to celebrate the snowfall. It is nearly too cold for this jacket already, but I toughed it out. I figure, if it's autumn everywhere else, I should at least have a few more days or weeks in my faux leather jacket before I trade it in for something warmer.

Photobucket
From head to toe:
Toque: A vintage shop on Whyte Avenue in Edmonton
Scarf: Ardene
Jacket: Thrifted
Jeans: American Eagle
Shoes: Athlete's World

Photobucket
On a non-snow related note, guess what everybody!?! I took these photos myself. That's right, I FINALLY pulled out the ol' tripod and remote and gave self-shot outfit photos a go. It wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be. Although, there is a noticeable lack of variation in the photos. It's definitely going to take some practise before I start getting fancy. But, all in all, I'm pretty stoked on the outcome.

Have you ever tried taking your own outfit photos? Do you find it terribly difficult and awkward? If not, do you have any pointers for a noob?

8 comments:

  1. I woke up to rain this morning! Not a torrential downpour, but raaaaain! It's a far cry from the 80+ degree days we had last week... and when I left the house this morning, it was made clear that I don't know how to deal with any sort of real weather, except remembering to grab an umbrella. Gloves and waterproof shoes would have been a good choice...

    It's terribly awkward for me to take outfit photos, I'll admit. It's probably one of the reasons why I don't do it more... it seems to take twice as long (run to camera > focus > set timer > run in front of camera > strike one pose > run back to camera > repeat) and I haven't drudged up the balls to ask my roommate to take pictures of what I'm wearing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! It's already snowing there!! It was hailing here yesterday but nothing stayed on the ground. It looks so pretty in Jasper!
    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, ridiculously stunning photos. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the outfit, perfect for winter! I hope we get snow this year... it's my first winter in Scotland and I am pretty hopeful: Back home in Ireland, it was always on the more slushy side.

    ReplyDelete
  5. UGH! I want snow! Dude I'm so jealous of your wintery jasper-land. Go snowboarding for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. cute outfit! i am a touch jealous that you have snow...although i know i will be eating my words come winter here :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh snowww! I wish for snow every year but we usually only get one day of icky mud. I can't even remember the last time we had a white christmas so I'm crossing my fingers again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you, taking your own photos! I do have a tripod...but it's one of those low Gorilla ones. So I rarely use it. I mostly just balance my camera on any available surface.

    The snow looks beautiful! So far we have had a couple days of snow, but it melts that same day. Just not cold enough yet to stick around...thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete