Sunday, November 4, 2012

At this time last year: October

I know. I know. It's November. But life has been crazy, guys. Crazy I tell you! And, so, I just couldn't keep up with blog features and real life the past couple of weeks. But, instead of accepting defeat (NEVER!), here, on Nov. 4, is "At this time last year" for October. Please forgive my tardiness and enjoy photos from my first month in Jasper. That's right folks, I've been a Jasperite for a whole year!

Photobucket
This photo of me with the raging Athabasca River was taken on our first day in Jasper. That day, our little mountain town was brand new to us and around every corner there was a gorgeous surprise. I remember Ian saying, as we were walking down the main drag, "I hope I never get to the point where I look in the store windows instead of at the mountains." I'll admit I have peeked in some of the windows since then, but the majority of time, I'm still mesmerized by the incredible scenery.

Photobucket
During our first month in town, we did a good amount of exploring, not only because we wanted to see everything, but because I needed to learn how to drive our brand new car (Waldo!). You see, he's standard, not automatic, so getting to know him was a wee-bit of learning curve for me. We're pals now, though. He even got me to Edmonton safe and sound last week! High-five Waldo!

Photobucket
As you all know, October is my birthday month. Last year, we had only been in town for three days before it rolled around, so we didn't yet have friends to party it up with. Instead, Ian made me brunch, we took the scenic drive to the Miette Hot Springs, soaked in the springs for the afternoon and had a lovely snack in the cafe, then went home to have a homemade roast beef dinner. Although low-key, it was a great way to spend the day. Plus, like this year, Ian made me a delicious cake. In fact, that cake was the first thing he had ever baked.

Photobucket
It's funny to look back on photos like this, because it shows just how far we've come. Last year, we were super excited every time we saw wildlife on the road. We were just like any other tourist, pulling over to snap photos. But, now, we're so used to seeing them and having them hold us up on the highway that it's really just old hat. That's not to say I'm sick of seeing big horned sheep, mountain goats, coyotes, and elk, but I'm not as quick to reach for my camera these days. Now, I just take in the sight and keep driving once the road is clear.

Photobucket
A recap of October wouldn't be complete without a photo of my Halloween costume! Last year, I was a crocodile. I was inspired by that foam hat and then I made myself a yellow belly out of sushi mats and a tail out of a coarse dish towel and some green pot scrubbers. The rest of the outfit was made up of things that were already in my closet. My favourite of them all being those kick ass leg warmers. So rad! So warm!

Well folks, that's what I was up to last year. Do you remember what you were doing? Did you embark on a new journey, moving to a new town or taking on a new job or relationship? Tell me about it!

14 comments:

  1. That scenery is so utterly beautiful. I'm sitting in a small south-England town surrounded by rain right now and wishing I could go see a grand expanse of water and some mountains like that. I used to live by the sea in Wales and so had plenty of both. It looks abolutely stunning where you are. And the wildlife is just incredible. My grandparents spent a summer in Jasper when they retired acutally and saw bears and elk. I always think that Britain is a bit lame for animals -I'm a big fan of reintroducing wolves because now the most exciting things we have are dear and foxes (and the occassional escaped panther from the zoo). I hope that seeing it all never gets dull for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miette Hot Springs for a birthday sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy one(ish) year anniversary to you guys! I really love this series, it is so fun to see what you were up to a year ago.

    Also those leg warmers look like heaven! Where did you find them because I think I might just need to get a pair of my own ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome pictures!! I also love those leg warmers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it is my DREAM to see a big horn sheep and/or a mountain goat. You are literally living my dream :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ack! I love every one of these photos!! I don't like to use the over-used word 'epic'...but, these is that. ;o) You make a darn cute gator girl. Happy 1 year in Jasper!
    xx
    mel
    needle and nest

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha I just love your posts. Your sense of humor make them even more fun to read :P

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Almost ALL of those photos made me smile, but the jumping shot just takes the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a pretty place! And lovely pics :)

    Laura
    http://casetadepaper.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congras on making it a year - your in a beautiful place!

    Cheers,
    Messy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't want to discredit the awesomeness of this post but I'm freaking out about your use of sushi mats.

    You're a regular costume genius!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those photos are stunning! As are your "arms over the head" poses, adorable :) Also, fabulous costume! I wish I had your devotion to Halloween costumes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. No wonder you love living in Jasper- it's freaking gorgeous! Love this jumping pics- looks like you're super excited to roll into town :) I really can't imagine getting used to wildlife like that in the road, although I did grow up in the Oregon woods where there were always deer in our yard- and the road. I definitely took that for granted!

    ReplyDelete