Friday, November 9, 2012

Knowing you knowing me

Photobucket
Source
The other day, the always beautiful and inspiring Bhrett invited me to participate in a series called knowing you knowing me, and since then, I've been thinking a lot about what it means to know someone, and how blogs fit into that definition of knowing. I mean, how much can you really learn about a person based solely on their blog? Think about your own blogs or the blogs you read, you'll notice that we're all pretty good at holding back and sharing just enough, but not all. And, rightfully so. I mean, some things are better kept private.

To be honest, I have a good amount of fear about this blog coming back to bite me in the butt when I'm older and wiser and trying to make something of myself. So, because of that fear, there are definitely things I hold back and sometimes those are things that I think would make for a brilliant blog post. Funny, isn't it? Growing up in this digital age? There are just so many opportunities to make a misstep that will haunt you forever, yet, here we are sharing all sorts of things about our personal lives. Yipes.

Anyway, knowing you knowing me isn't about anxieties about what to share and when to share and where to share, it's actually just a series about sharing. So, here goes nothing...

Five random facts about me:

1) (Let's start on a shocking note, shall we!?) I've been growing my armpit hair for the past month just to see what it's like. No joke! This is one of those things I thought would make a great blog post, but I fear it coming back to haunt me in years to come. So, rather than sharing all the fun details, I'm leaving this one as a life experience, rather than a life and blog experience. Email me about it, if you're curious!

2) I worry a lot. I worry so much that I worry about the amount of worrying I do. It's ridiculous. My brain gets so wrapped up in what-ifs sometimes that I start to believe the worst is most definitely, without a doubt going to happen. Then, once the thing that could have happened doesn't happen, I breathe a sigh of relief and move on to worrying about the next thing. I know it's ridiculous, but my brain has been working this way for so long that I don't really know how to break free of all of my irrational worries. Suggestions?

3) I'm a skier. Not a good one, but I give it an honest go. I love being on the mountain and TODAY IS OPENING DAY here in Jasper, so I'm spending it, guess where!?!?! ON THE FREAKING MOUNTAIN. I'm so bloody excited, I don't even know how to contain myself. I'll tell you all about it sometime soon, but for now, know that as you read this I'm likely FLYING down a run, loving my life.

4) When I was a kid I already knew I wanted to become a writer. There's even proof of that fact. Last year, my mom found an assignment I did in elementary school about what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote: a writer or a fashion designer. I'm fairly positive I went in the right direction, considering I'm still a terrible seamstress.

5) Right now the plan is that Ian and I will eventually grow old in Yellowknife, NWT, the city where we met and where he was born and raised. That means, I'll eventually be a 60-year-old woman walking around at -40 C. I'm beginning to think that if this plan is actually going to come to fruition, we might need to have a winter home in Arizona.

If at this point you're totally sick of reading about me, you can skip down to the nominees and find out if you get the pleasure of answering my questions!! And if not, here are some longwinded answers to Bhrett's questions.

Bhrett's questions:

What is your most valued quality in yourself?
I guess I'd say it's the fact that I conquer my fears. I have a lot of them. A LOT. But, somehow I always find some way to put myself right in the middle of them. I sign on for jobs I'm not sure I can handle. I agree to be evacuated from a tramcar, so new staff get much-needed safety training. I drive on the highway and in the snow and in the city. I move across the country all alone (numerous times). And, I live in places no one else wants to live in. Yup. That's my life in a nutshell. I'm always putting myself out there and hoping for the best. And, so far, it seems I've always had the best.

Would the 16-year-old version of you like the person you are now?
This is a funny question for me. I think in a lot of ways my 16-year-old self would think my 26-year-old life is pretty rad. But, I also think she might laugh at me. She might be totally judgemental. She might think I'm a bit of an old lady and think that my haircut is ridiculous. You see, my 16-year-old self was a goth. Yup. I've mentioned it here before and generally there is a good amount of disbelief, but it is so totally true. I wore a REAL dog collar and had black eyeliner all over me and I had short, spiky hair. But, I was also a good student and an athlete and a go-getter, so, in a way, I think that little-teenage version of myself might be stoked to know I've accomplished so much in the last 10 years. She might judge my early bedtime and fashion choices, but she'd likely think it's pretty cool that I'm actually being paid to write for a living.

Is there one thing you are meant to do in life? A job? A hobby? A passion?
I'd like to think the one thing I'm supposed to do is tell people's stories. But, more than that, I'm supposed to tell the stories of regular, everyday Joes living all across Canada.

What's your favourite book, and how did it change your life?
I guess I'd probably say White Oleander is my favourite book. I adore the story, the characters and the writing style. From it, I learned that although we are greatly affected by our upbringing, we are also resilient and we can overcome a lot.

What's your favourite vacation (or weekend vacation) less than three hours from your home?
This is tough for me because I live in a really isolated spot. It takes an hour going east or west just to reach civilization and then another hour or more from each of those places to get anywhere else. If we stretch the drive to four hours, then I'd say Banff or Edmonton. But, to be completely honest, I'm not even a huge fan of either of those towns. Edmonton's rad because I can shop and see friends and eat amazing food, but it also sucks because it's a big, scary city! Banff is gorgeous and has lots of touristy things to do, so that's fun, but it's also super busy. If I were to pick a favourite weekend vacation without thinking about the drive, I would say Kelowna. I hated living there, but, boy, do I ever love going back to visit. I get to see my sister and brother-in-law. I get to see my pals. I get to go Value Village shopping in the store I used to work in. I get to eat amazing BBQ, walk along the waterfront, and enjoy hot weather. It's definitely a great place to visit.

Nominees:
Kaylanaut
Not Ladylike
Needle and Nest Design
Salvaged Strawberry
Veranellies

Instructions:
- Nominate five other blogs in your post (all must have less than 250 subscribers)
- Post five random facts about yourself
- Answer five questions that the tagger has asked you, then list your own five questions to ask others
- Let your five friends know you have tagged them by commenting on their blogs

Five questions from moi:
Who let the dogs out? For serious, tell me. Who did it?

What was your favourite song when you were in Grade 9? (If you can't remember that far back or you don't want to give away your age, just think of one of your faves from high school.)

What blog post did you read this week that made you go "Hear, hear! Right on, sista." or something along those lines? (Please link to it!)

What's your favourite thing about winter?

When you go to Starbucks or some fancy coffee shop, what's your go-to beverage? Does it change with the season?

Well folks, there you have it: knowing you knowing me. What'd you learn today?

10 comments:

  1. Wowsers, that was some wild new insights into your head! I admire you attitude about what life has/is dishing your way... and am honored to be jumping in alongside to watch your journey here.

    Now, as to this tag-game... ONLY because it's you, sweet face. (I'm a real grump with games...hehe). I will answer your questions, thanks for sharing/caring! ;o)
    Happy skiing... I guess it's not the right event to say "break a leg" is it?
    xx
    mel
    needle and nest design

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the additional info! how is that armpit hair coming? can you braid it yet? haha j/k

    and while i wasn't a "goth" i wore a dog collar too- mine was silver with glitter - i was a crazy punk/raver type girl - flamingo pink hair, tons of piercings, fun clothes.. yup that was me..

    i'm with mel on the tag game! but i suppose i'll do it- especially seeing that you said you had a surprise for me! my answers will be pretty boring especially your question #5 - I'll work on it this weekend for ya..

    have fun skiing today, don't be too crazy out there

    xx
    trisha
    veranellies

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a really fun post!

    I'm also a huge worrier -- Matt tells me I'm physically incapable of experiencing the emotion of relief. It's probably true, because as you said, as soon as the bad thing I'm expecting doesn't actually happen I'm immediately on to panicking over the next thing.

    And, I was also convinced I'd be a writer when I grew up! But I insisted I'd be an author... so I guess I'm gonna have to write a book or something. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a huge worrier too :( So exhausting. And growing my armpit hair out for the hell of it is TOTALLY something I'd do, so, let's be friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh, this is awesome!! Thanks for tagging me! I'll get to work on it asap. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. also ps btw you're totally my fave but don't tell anyone because this is our super-private, totally-not-viewable-by-the-entire-internet secret

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's my little story about armpit hair. Perhaps it's the mountains. For a few years I lived in and around Lake Louise and simultaneously I decided to go full mountain woman and stop shaving...everything. I wore whatever I wanted, I trekked, I worked, I explored...I hopped to where my heart told me to go...and in that time I felt more beautiful than I have ever felt. I felt no shame, even in a bathing suit, and stood proudly as my natural self. But something changed. I returned... and I remember distinctly sitting on a city bus in Ottawa and two young women were giggling and checking out my legs. Suddenly I felt exposed. Other. Not enough. I let something get stripped away and I always regretted that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fear that giggling and snickering. But, at the same time, I really want to feel at home in my own body. I'm sick of being told how it needs to look and how I need to present it. Something just clicked the other day and I thought, "why the hell not just grow it out and see how it feels and see how it looks." I'll admit, growing it has shown me that my mind is just as ingrained with stereotypical ideas of what is beautiful as the next person. I get caught off guard when I see it poking out from under my t-shirt and I haven't yet worn a tank top in public. It's definitely going to take some confidence to carry this hair around with me without shame. I'd like to think I'll get there eventually, but for now, I keep it tucked away under layers.

      Delete
  8. I LOVE that your growing your armpit hair out. I've always been curious about that.

    ReplyDelete