Thursday, November 22, 2012

LOTM: mountain haven

Photobucket

The other day, we got a few inches of fresh, gorgeous, powdery snow that made the roads in and around town treacherous to drive. And, when I say treacherous, I mean treacherous. Because of the super sketchy streets (and my fear of winter driving), my friend Nicole – who is from New Zealand and had never seen powdery snow until that day – and I decided to go on a walking adventure on a trail near town. That's right, the gorgeous landscape you see above is literally a 10-minute walk from downtown Jasper. Amazing, right? You really don't have to go far to see beauty in this town. You just have to open your eyes wherever you are at that moment and you'll see something gorgeous.

Photobucket

For Ladies of the Mountains today, our mission was to chat about a mountain haven we'd visited recently. With all the snow on the ground, it's been difficult to get very far, other than to the often trudged trails, so that's what I've had to stick to. The area pictured above is called Old Fort Point. When there's no snow, you can hike up to the top of a huge hill and get an amazing view of the surrounding mountains. But, in the winter months, you're basically stuck in the low lying areas. So, Nicole and I walked from the bottom of Old Fort Point to Lac Beauvert.

Photobucket

Don't worry, I'm no idiot, I stayed off the thin ice. But, man, I gotta say, my urge to go skating is only getting stronger as the winter goes on. Luckily, the temperatures are dropping, so the ice will grow thicker in no time (I hope!). For Nicole, it was her first time experiencing -18 C. It was the coldest she has ever been. It was fun for me, a Canadian and someone who has lived in -40 C temperatures, to see her freak out about how cold her thighs and bum were (those are always the first to feel the wind!).

This was her "my body's so cold it hurts face":

Photobucket

Ha! This still makes me laugh. She's just so cute and winter is just so foreign to her. I have to say, I really love meeting the people who come to Jasper to experience Canada. It's just so exciting to go on adventures with them and to see places through their eyes. As a girl who grew up around mountains and snow and big trees, sometimes I take those things for granted, but when I'm with someone who grew up in a city or a completely different country, I'm always reminded just what I have and how special it is.

Photobucket

Although our little adventure wasn't a big production, it was a lovely way to enjoy the snow and the crisp, cool air. Nicole mentioned while we were walking that Jasper's winter air had to be the cleanest she had ever breathed. What a lovely thought.

Well, it's lovely until you breath and fog up your glasses, anyway...

Photobucket

Well folks, that was my latest mountainy adventure. Be sure to check out what the other LOTM have been climbing and hiking lately:
Gentri of Gentri Lee
Lena of Musings
Michelle of On The Adventure
Meagan of The Egg Out West
Kelley of A Crooked Trail
And, this month's guest blogger, Amanda from Little Lady Little City

11 comments:

  1. What a glorious place! Looks like you guys had a great walk, even if it was crazy cold! And I know exactly just how annoying it can be with constantly fogged up glasses hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a beautiful place, i wish i lived in the midst of all that scenery! have a good thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ack - glasses fog!! You just reminded me what drives me ca-razy about winter..lol. I think I love your scarf!!
    xx
    mel
    needle and nest design

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh fogged up glasses...believe it or not, but you will get used to it. It will still be DUMB ASS ANNOYING, but you'll begrudgingly get used to it!

    The Lake looks so beautiful! We've hiked Old Fort Point in the summer. It is quite the view! Man...I need to get out of the city.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this whole LOTM thing, so awesome! We have a mountain behind our house that's probably my favorite but we've scaled a few in New Mexico that are pretty gorgeous too.

    Gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you have a guest room where I can stay the entire winter?!
    So beautiful!

    Sadly, the airline I take to go to Canada (Air Transat) doesn't fly during winter months :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that first picture so much - and I can relate to not knowing winter either.. Here, in the coldest part of NZ, it only gets between 0-5ºC and very rarely snows - when it does, it's only a couple of cm and everyone goes crazy over it!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I loooooove your pictures. So so gorgeous. As always. And that pic of you with the foggy glasses. haha! So awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous photo! And I miss mountains and snow so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi! found you on the blog hop, i'm glad that i can get my mountain fix from your pretty photos. also, i LOVE your scarves, especially this one!

    ReplyDelete