Wednesday, November 21, 2012

New job.

I've mentioned it a few times, but I still haven't really told all of you what my new job is. I don't know why I've waited until three months after I found out about it and three weeks after I started to share it here. I guess I was just a wee bit nervous that I wouldn't live up to the challenge. But, it seems, with two issues in the bag, I'm proving capable of this new gig. So, I guess it's time I share with you what I'll be up to ALL winter long.

But first, let me give you some background. About five or six months ago, my newspaper, which was formerly locally owned and operated, was bought out by a larger company. When that happened, it was a bit of a scary time. My co-workers, of which there are only four, and I weren't sure if we were going to have jobs or if our jobs were going to change. Things did change and are continuing to change, and I am still working part-time for the paper, but it's no longer my full-time job. When the paper was sold, the new owner mentioned that one of his other papers in Edmonton was in need of someone to head up a section called Snow Zone. That was about all he had to say before I put myself out there and said, 'Yes please. Pick me!' I honestly had no idea what the job entailed, but I knew it was the right choice. I just knew that the opportunity was presenting itself because I was meant to take it.


So, a couple of weeks ago, I became the editor of Vue Weekly's Snow Zone. (For all of you outside of the Edmonton area, Vue is an alt-weekly that's full of really rad entertainment and arts content, along with a small bit of news.) Snow Zone, as you might guess, is a section that focuses on all things winter. In the past it has greatly focused on skiing and boarding, but this year my goal is to branch out. I want it to be a more inclusive. So, I want to write about snowshoeing, dog sledding, ice fishing, winter camping, organized snowball fights and then, of course, skiing and boarding. 

Being the editor of the section basically means I come up with the story ideas; I decide what's being printed and when; I write; I assign stories to freelancers; I edit; I upload stories to the web; and I give the final OKs on the print copies. Oh! And I also take photos. It's definitely a lot more responsibility than I'm used to, but I'm actually really excited about the new challenge. I really needed this change. So, I'm glad that I jumped at the job, even if I did it before I knew what it was, because it's an incredible opportunity. (Did I mention that I'm now writing for about 20,000 more people than I was a month ago, and I get to do it from a town of 5,000 in the middle of a national park!? Yeah. Let that sink in for a minute. Those opportunities don't land in your lap everyday, so boy am I ever grateful that this one landed in mine.)

So, there. I spilled the beans. Now, I just hope I can live up and prove that I'm worthy of the editor's title and position. Wish me luck!

20 comments:

  1. THAT SOUNDS INCREDIBLE. Congratulations! I have no doubt that you'll continue to kick ass and take names in your new position.

    btw if you didn't already have my heart, you certainly earned it when you mentioned "organized snowball fights." just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um - THAT IS SO AWESOME!!!! I am 100% pumped for you! And I am 100% jumping up and down right now. All over the place.

    SALKFNSKDLF!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an AWESOME job! What a great opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really cool!! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish you luck, my friend! You are going to be excellent, I am sure of it.

    (are you working from now or do you have to commute?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get to work in Jasper and just send all of my work on the Internets. How great is that!? I get to sit in my PJs in a gorgeous little town, writing and drinking tea without the stress of the newsroom AND my stories are being read by a way larger audience. No complaints from this girl!

      Delete
  6. So awesome! Congratulations on the job (and it sounds promotion) - Are there spring/summer and fall editions too? (hahah do you even have spring and fall there?! hahah just kidding)

    So jealous, sounds like a great job. And.. organized snowball fights?! seriously, there is such a thing?! i say you write about sledding too (not like "sleds"- but you know like sledding, in little plastic red sleds zooming down a hill at ungodly speeds darting trees. - well i know you should be doing this only on clear hills, but there are some of us that like a little challenge!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cool! Congrats with this great opportunity! And good luck!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's awesome, congrats! sounds like you'll be having a lot of fun, and creative freedom as an editor! I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds awesome! Wishing you luck and have no doubt in your abilities :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. When is your next article out? I grabbed last week's but I didn't see you in it. At least, I think it was last week's. It had GWAR on the cover and so I kind of couldn't get passed that. Still can't in fact....GWAR....

    Wait, what?!

    You never told me how COOL your job was going to be! You're like The Boss or something!! Wowee wow wow! Congrats again!

    Did I ever tell you that I squealed when I saw your first article. "Squealed" I tell you. And Instagrammed it....#iamsuchadork

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You squealed, for me!? Really!? You're the sweetest.

      My first REAL Snow Zone issue came out last Thursday (Nov. 15). That's the one after the GWAR issue. My next one comes out tomorrow, so you'll see that on the stands super duper soon. :)

      Thanks for the love and support, my friend. xx

      Delete
  11. AMAZING!!! Wow, that's a DREAM!! Good luck!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. So exciting! Way to go. I bet you're a super awesome editor and it seems like a way fun job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats, that's awesome! I'm sure you're doing a spectacular job. Good luck!

    ♥ Jana

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah! That's so exciting! I think you can do it :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so freaking exciting! Congratulations, I know you are going to do an amazing job!! In mid post I went and checked out your stuff on the site and it's really great!! Yay, I am seriously so excited for you!!!

    Also hopefully Will and I can make it up your way during this big trip of ours I did pack out passports just incase!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That sounds amazing. Coungrats on the new job, dude!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So exciting! I'll have to pick up VUE on a more regular basis now! I can't wait to see what you're up to. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on the new job! We have very similar jobs. I work for an alt newsweekly too. They are the best, I think! :)

    ReplyDelete